Danish Oil

Joan McElroy

My first thought is that island is just soaking the Danish Oil right up.  If this is a refinish job it could be that the old finish that was on there before is still lurking in that spot not allowing the oil to actually penetrate which I think would cause the old sheen of the original finish to hold true.  I think a picture would tremendously help the more seasoned eyes on the forums help to diagnose the issue.

• Like 1

Those photos do look like areas where the grain curls and exposes 'end grain' at the surface. That will certainly soak up a lot more oil. I find that applying Danish Oil liberally, then using 600 or higher wet-dry sandpaper to work it into the surface, creates a slurry that helps fill those end pores. Be sure to wipe away the excess oil after a few minutes. This method can leave a buttery smooth finish, but you must be patient and coat several times.

• Like 1

One other thing I noticed in your post is that you're applying a coat every day.  When you add Danish on top of uncured or not dry danish, the layer below the new application rewets and drying takes much longer. I use Danish regularly and I give 5 to 7 days between each coat, and as. @wtnhighlander has said, sand with 600 grit to fill pores and wipe dry and wait 5 to 7 days to redo.