Wiring question

msadkin

post-3977-0-72294900-1299140657_thumb.jpMy 3 hp Grizzly 240v saw has 2 black wires coming out of the motor. On the cord coming from the switch to the motor there is a green ground, a red and a black wire. I know that the ground is connected to a screw under the junction box cover on the motor, but how do you know which wires to connect to the 2 black wires coming from the motor? Does it matter? Will it simply reverse the rotation. Can I try it without damaging the motor?

The reason I have to ask this is because the previous owner had the switch mounted in a bad spot on the saw. I want to remount it in the correct place and while doing this, I loosened the cord and decided to make sure I had good clearance when I cranked the saw to it's 45 degree position. Without realizing it the cord got pulled out of the wire nuts on the motor leaving me wondering which wire goes where.

I have attached 2 pics of what I'm referring to.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Mike

post-3977-0-59223400-1299140656_thumb.jp

Red and black are hot wires. 'Red' or 'black' doesn't imply anything about the particular hot. While I'd say you should call Grizzly about it and ask (maybe email them the photos and a photo of the motor plate), I'd connect the red to one of the motor blacks and the black to the other motor black. It won't run backwards (3ph motors can do that if you flip a pair, not 1ph). Be sure to get that case ground attached. Oh, if you decide you're going to hit start then stop really quickly to see if everything works, it won't work if you do that too quickly; the starting capacitor needs a chance to discharge to get things up to speed.

But, best bet, email the photos to Grizzly along with one of the motor plate (so they can see serial numbers, model numbers, etc) and ask their tech support. Grizzly is supposed to have very good service.

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I'm referring to a 3 HP single phase motor. I did call Grizzly support and got my answer. As you stated, it does not matter which way the cord is connected to the motor.

I own 2 other Grizzly machines, a 2 hp dust collector and a stationary belt/disc sander that I purchased new many years ago. Both continue to serve me well. As you said, Grizzly has great tech support and I was sure to mention that to the tech I spoke to.

Great forum and helpful people here. Thank you again.

Mike

Paul,

I think he was talking 3 Horse Power not 3Phase. Not sure if you meant to do that. It still would not matter since it is 240v.

Oh, yes, i knew it was single phase. My comment was just that flipping the hots won't make it run backwards but if i was a 3ph motor, it could. Mostly made that comment in case he was asking about it running backwards after reading that it can happen. Won't in his case.