Chisels

jlloydparks

So I really don't want start a thread on which chisel maker is better. However, I do want to stir your brains on the following question. Are you finding the current selection of manufactured chisels adequate for your woodworking needs?

What causes me to ask this is that I have been doing a little research on some of the historical inventories. I have come across the fact that they have a large amount of chisels.

For instance:

Plumley inventory: 33 former and broad chisels, 14 gouges, and 5 mortise chisels

Seaton Inventory: 18 firmer chisels (sizes 1/16" through 2"), 15 firmer chisels of cast steel (sizes 3/16" to 2"), 7 firmer socket chisels (sizes 1/2" to 1-1/4"), 11 gouges (sizes 5/32" to 1"), and 8 mortise chisels (sizes 1/8" to 1/2")

Dinsmore's Inventory of Thomas Jefferson's tools: 4 socket chisels, 4 mortise chisels, 13 firmer chisels and 19 gouges

Some interesting things to note are that someone made a 1/16" chisel, I believe the smallest you can get today is Lie Nielsen's 1/10". Many chisels came in 1/32" sizes up to the 1/2" size, most makers today barely cover the 1/16" sizes and some only the 1/8". No one I know of is making cabinetmaker gouges today, yet they were a large part of the inventories.

Another thought is that a large portion of the chisels were square sided or firmer. There were not many beveled chisels. However, today almost all the chisel makers make beveled chisels. Was this just implemented to reduce the amount of steel, is there a real advantage to bevel edge chisels? Have we lost something from not having firmers in our arsenal?

Today I have set of 12 chisels (10 bevel edged tanged chisels and 2 oval bolstered mortise chisels), I find them adequate. However, I have to stop and ask myself am I losing out some efficiency or making do with what I have.? Would my work be easier and go quicker if I had a larger chisel selection with more variety of styles.

Thoughts? I really want to hear what you think.

Great post, Josh.

I have and use as my chisels for forming a set of Titan firmer chisels. I like the square side because it can give you 2 reference edges when cutting! I use bevel edged chisels only for final clearing and paring.

As for why the oldtimers had so many chisels. I reckon it was to ensure that they did not have to stop a project to hone a chisel whose edge had gone off. They would want to get to the stage of the next glue up quickly and then do another task such as sharpening while the glue set. Extra chisels helped productivity! Especially as the apprentice would do the sharpening - and the journeyman or master needed a sharp chisel of the same kind to keep on working! So you need two sets of both firmer and paring chisels - toss in some gouges and you easily get over 40 chisels!

Some interesting things to note are that someone made a 1/16" chisel, I believe the smallest you can get today is Lie Nielsen's 1/10".

You can get a 1.5mm Japanese chisel (Fujihiro brand) from Hida Tool, which is a hair less than 1/16".

And, of course, you can always take a 1/8" chisel and grind it so it is thinner.

I am not familiar with the inner workings of design decisions. But beveled sides allow getting into tight spaces, such as when cleaning up dovetails. In reviews chisels with beefy bevels are marked down for not allowing work in tight spaces. For banging on (or is it in) mortises you want thicker sides. Perpendicular to cutting edge is good for maintaining mortise geometry. Good question. Smallest I have is an Ashley Isles 1//8-inch. Sort of a challenge to maintain square edge when sharpening. Smaller would be even more so, but sure would be nice for a few projects I've worked on.

I only have a set of Marples 1/8" to 1" and separately a 1/16" and a 2". They're......OK, for now. I'll never get rid of them, but long for a nice set of some beautiful Japenese chisels. I still need a set of mortise and paring chisels.

It didn't even cross my mind to include Eastern style chisels. Those aren't found in old American or European inventories. I am not as familiar with Eastern tools. Perhaps someone who is could chime in on how many and what types of chisels and Eastern master woodworker would have.

So we can find a 1/16" size in an Eastern bevel sided chisel. I knew this would be useful, finding added resources is great. However, I would love to see a Western firmer and bevel chisel in the 1/16" range, which no one currently makes.

I have and use as my chisels for forming a set of Titan firmer chisels. I like the square side because it can give you 2 reference edges when cutting! I use bevel edged chisels only for final clearing and paring.

I had never heard of the Titan brand before. I see it is from the other side of the world. They look like nice chisels. Learning something everyday. Maybe I could snag one off ebay one day.

Especially as the apprentice would do the sharpening - and the journeyman or master needed a sharp chisel of the same kind to keep on working!

I have to say I don't agree with this statement. In "The Joiner and Cabinet Maker" published in 1839 it gives a wonderful if not slightly pastoral account of an apprentice's life. The apprentice is to keep the grind stone true and fresh and the bucket supplied with water. He is to turn the stone at a constant speed, but it is the Journeyman or the master who sharpens the tool. He may of also been in charge of keeping the flat stones flat as well. I think tools were too valuable to entrust their sharpening to an apprentice's hands. I think we all wish for that idealized world of where there was a boy who we could hand our chisel or plane iron to and it comes back with that beautiful mirror sharp edge. However, I don't think that ever existed or rarely did in Western shops. I certainly wouldn't trust the sharpening of my edge tools to anyone else.

But beveled sides allow getting into tight spaces, such as when cleaning up dovetails. In reviews chisels with beefy bevels are marked down for not allowing work in tight spaces.

I don't necessarily buy this argument as well. However, I don't have enough data or firmer chisels to prove it. I really think they came along to save steel. I have used a set of 18th century firmers once for a short time and did not find them a hindrance to cleaning out the farthermost nether region of a dovetail. In fact I found them easier to register and left with a greater desire to acquire some. I think modern tool reviews focus on things that may not matter in some cases. In places where a tiny bevel helps a simple skew chisel will also suffice, sometimes much better. So should I compromise and get thin bevels which will have weak corners for all my chisels just so I can get into hard to find places? Thereby, sacrificing the edge durability when I want to chop or do heavy paring. I will say that bevel chisels are found in inventories and tool catalogs so we know they were in use so they serve some purpose in this woodworking world.

This has been great. Keep going I would love to hear some more thoughts.

So I really don't want start a thread on which chisel maker is better. However, I do want to stir your brains on the following question. Are you finding the current selection of manufactured chisels adequate for your woodworking needs?

What causes me to ask this is that I have been doing a little research on some of the historical inventories. I have come across the fact that they have a large amount of chisels.

For instance:

Plumley inventory: 33 former and broad chisels, 14 gouges, and 5 mortise chisels

Seaton Inventory: 18 firmer chisels (sizes 1/16" through 2"), 15 firmer chisels of cast steel (sizes 3/16" to 2"), 7 firmer socket chisels (sizes 1/2" to 1-1/4"), 11 gouges (sizes 5/32" to 1"), and 8 mortise chisels (sizes 1/8" to 1/2")

Dinsmore's Inventory of Thomas Jefferson's tools: 4 socket chisels, 4 mortise chisels, 13 firmer chisels and 19 gouges

Some interesting things to note are that someone made a 1/16" chisel, I believe the smallest you can get today is Lie Nielsen's 1/10". Many chisels came in 1/32" sizes up to the 1/2" size, most makers today barely cover the 1/16" sizes and some only the 1/8". No one I know of is making cabinetmaker gouges today, yet they were a large part of the inventories.

Another thought is that a large portion of the chisels were square sided or firmer. There were not many beveled chisels. However, today almost all the chisel makers make beveled chisels. Was this just implemented to reduce the amount of steel, is there a real advantage to bevel edge chisels? Have we lost something from not having firmers in our arsenal?

Today I have set of 12 chisels (10 bevel edged tanged chisels and 2 oval bolstered mortise chisels), I find them adequate. However, I have to stop and ask myself am I losing out some efficiency or making do with what I have.? Would my work be easier and go quicker if I had a larger chisel selection with more variety of styles.

Thoughts? I really want to hear what you think.

Highland Hardware used to list a 2mm chisel, .078" wide We now cut mortises with power tools, and do less carving than some of those Masters of old. They were pretty practical, and didn't just have those things for the sake of having "stuff".

Bevel edges are better for getting into corners and dovetails. Tastes in tools changed, and the market followed, I would guess. Firmers and slicks, and all the others can still be found, but at a price.

Every once in a while, if I need a chisel for an odd job, I'll just make one. Like the last time I needed a 1/16th, I just grabbed a piece of tool steel, shaped it on the grinder (just by eye, no fancy angle measuring), hardened the tip a bit with the torch, and knocked a handle onto it.

Obviously they're not up to commercial standards, and I never expect them to last too long, but it's kinda fun. Of course this only happens when I've got way too much time on my hands: something that is becoming an increasingly rare commodity these days.

Maybe I should do a blog post on it one of these days.

Have y'all considered the lowly butt chisel. I frequently find them at yard sales and second hand stores. I've never paid more than a dollar for one. If you find one with good steel, they can be rejuvenated and sharpened in to a nice short bench chisel. They are just the right size for including in my do-all carry-along tool tote.

I have liked the feel and length of the Ashley Iles butt chisels. I also have to note that Czech edge is turning out some short and stout dovetail chisels.

While these are nice and have their uses I don't see much evidence for them in the historical shop. Perhaps though they had one set of regular chisels that had been sharpened enough to be considered butt chisels.

I don't deny they are useful and may have a place in the modern shop. I know they certainly come in handy in the carpentry department. I have set of Stanley butt chisels that I have in my framing kit, however, they have never touched a fine woodworking project.