Accessories for Cross Cut Sleds

Drawdoow

I've been using crosscut sleds for many years but never bothered with fancy stuff like flip stops.   As I had to make new sleds for new saw, decided to give accessories a try, and found they are helpful.

I made the fence height the same on both of my sleds so that same accessories could be used on both sleds.

The accessories I made are shown in photos.

There is a video as well but the photos tell the story:

1. Flip up stop blocks with magnets to hold the blocks up and magnets to hold the blocks down.
  2. Bolt on fence extensions so that the stop blocks can be used for cutting pieces longer than the crosscut sled.
  3. A sliding stop for cutting pieces too small to hold or clamp.

I am interested in other sled accessories that you have found helpful.

Extension - small sled.jpeg

Extension - standard sled.jpeg

Flip Stop.jpeg

Slide Stop.jpeg

• Like 1

I have so far taken a different approach. Rather than trying to anticipate what sort of work holding options my projects may require, I make or improvise jigs and fixtures as needed. Attaching them to the sled with clamps or screws is simple enough, and the fixture components are generally 'recycled' at the end of the project. This does mean that my sleds get worn out sooner than most, but making a new sled is simpler (for me) than trying to anticipate future needs.

Your sleds are well constructed, and certainly incorporate useful features, thanks for sharing them.