Greene & Greene Workshop with Darrell Peart

We had a great weekend working under the tutelage of the great Darrell Pert! A few of the online crew were there including Steven Taylor (@Torch02) and M. Scott Morton (@Morton).

If you ever have the opportunity to take a class with Darrell... JUMP ON IT!!!!

Here are a few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikolausbrown/sets/72157626223638688/

I'll be taking a week long course with him in August at the Marc Adams school building his famous blanket chest. I'm very excited about working with him. I've also taken a class with Tom Strangeland and he is awesome as well. I tried to get his rocker class at Marc's this year but it filled up in one day. Maybe I'll get in as a standby.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to building the jigs from class and doing a tooling test. Just a simple breadboard shelf made out of Cherry and Madagascar ebony (I liked the warmer tones in the Madagascar vs the other more black ebony's), finished with Amber Shellac and Arm-R-Seal.

Used a Whiteside #3262 to cut the splines (a bit less expensive than the bit Derrell uses). Works pretty well!

This was just me testing the jigs / tooling and seeing if I liked the wood species over mahogany and how I liked the finish schedule I came up with for it. Turned out pretty good. Looks like I'll be building all our dining room stuff out of it.

post-1793-0-40971200-1303337473_thumb.jppost-1793-0-76881300-1303337597_thumb.jppost-1793-0-65099000-1303337714_thumb.jp

Finish Schedule:

Sanded to 220

1 x 1lb cut of Shellac

1 x 2lb cut of Shellac.

Sanded 320

2 x thin coats of Arm-R-Seal

Sanded 320

1 x thin coat of Arm-R-Seal

Sanded 600

1 x VERY thin coat of Arm-R-Seal (aka I just buffed the entire shelf with a rag barley damp with the Arm-R-Seal)

Nothing impressive.... but a nice little project to force me to make 2 of the jigs and test out some finish options.... of course... only I can turn a simple 1 shelf into a 7 piece project (plus jigs).

now I just need to make the sideboard that goes under the wine racks..... :)

I think the shelf came out really nice. I really like the Cherry. Nice work.

Mike

Yea I really like the cherry as well. It's VERY inexpensive here and responds so much beter to my hand planes! I dont feel the need to dye it, and I think the grain patterns are a lot more interesting than the traditional G&G mahogany.

Pros:

Easier to work with hand tools!

More interesting grain.

WAY less expensive than mahogany where I am! ($3/BF)

Cons:

Harder and takes a bit more work to shape with sandpaper.

Have to be careful not to get any sap wood on exposed areas.

Have to wait a couple of years to darken before you get it's more true color.

Overall I'm sold on the cherry! Thanks for the tip Darrell!!!

Nik - nice shelf! Awesome you built the jigs, etc. Love the cherry. I noticed your orgainzed shelf in the background - definitely going to do something like that, including the plane rack. I need something to hold my planes and need something simple to make ;) Looks good.