Dewalt 735 Motor Burned up

ADK Andy

While running a 4x4 of spruce through the planer I started to see blue sparks in the clear dust duct and hear a grinding noise. I turned it off, made sure that things moved and tried it again. I could see blue sparks come from the area around the brush cover. The planer is only about 3 years old, so I don't know why this happened. I would have assumed that the breaker would have tripped. Anyway, I have a new arbor, disassembled the unit and found that it might be the entire motor that is bad. Has anyone made this repair? I think that the windings on the housing are bad as well. Thoughts?

20211227_140424.jpg

20211227_140715.jpg

• Like 1

I had something similar to my 6 yo 735 but it did throw the internal breaker. A couple of folks on here, with more electrical knowledge than I have, convinced me that I could have invested more than 50% of the value of the machine to fix it. In my experience with other DeWalt tools, if the tool is out of warranty, they will rebuild it at 50% of the cost of a new one. Given those choices, I purchased a new 735 and kept the old one for any parts I may need in the future. Your case is a bit different as you have already invested in a new arbor. 

Looks to me like you have a shorted winding in the stator. Blackened varnish on the winding is a clear sign of overheating. That likely caused the stator to expand, allowing the gap between stator and rotor to close, with the resulting score marks I see on the rotor. I don't think that replacing the rotor is going to get you very far. Looks like you need a new motor, or to find a shop that can repair yours. Unfortunately, repair costs for a small universal motor generally outweigh its value.