dovetail finish prep

jpdorn

so let's say you've cut all your dovetails to join a case/drawer/whatever.. you're all done and you want to take a couple of passes with a plane on the surfaces of your material before assembly to clean up any dings you created while getting your dovetail groove on.

the only surface you can't take a few shavings from (without affecting the fit of your joinery) is the inside face of your pin boards right? passes on the other faces should just make the ends a bit more proud..

am i thinking about this correctly?

It shouldn't affect the fit on either side, as the fit is the integral connection of the interior surfaces. I would do the inside faces first and the outside after it's all glued up, during the fit, if this is for a drawer.

jpdorn,

I think you have it right. You can plane either side of the tail board before assembly, and the only consequence will be that the ends of the pins will be a bit more proud. And if you plane the outside surface of the pin board, the ends of the tails will be a bit more proud. But if you plane the inside surface of the pin board, that will loosen the joint.

-- Russ

jpdorn,

I think you have it right. You can plane either side of the tail board before assembly, and the only consequence will be that the ends of the pins will be a bit more proud. And if you plane the outside surface of the pin board, the ends of the tails will be a bit more proud. But if you plane the inside surface of the pin board, that will loosen the joint.

-- Russ

Thanks Russ. I wasn't thinking about the pin board like I should. Planing the inside WOULD mess with the integral joint. My bad.

For the record, I wouldn't worry too much about the inside surface of a dovetailed box or drawer. Often this surface doesn't get a finish anyway, so slight dings and scratches won't get exaggerated by dyes, stains, or oils. And presumably the surface was finish-read before you began cutting your pins and tails, so it shouldn't be too much worse for wear.