Value of Used Craftsman Wood Lathe 351-217150

Sylvia VS

I would appreciate advice on how to price a used Craftsman Professional variable speed wood lathe, Model 351-217150. Good condition, mounted on a table, which would go with the lathe. Measures about 5 feet in length. Various chucks.  I am trying to find homes for my husband's woodturning tools. Thank you!

Edited by Sylvia VS
add background

Hi Sylvia,

The value you can expect to get will depend quite a bit on where you're selling. Different regions will have different availability. In my own neck of the woods (Washington state) I'd guess the lathe itself could fetch up to $300 if everything is in good-to-great condition. Probably more around $200 if you want to sell quickly. Replacement parts are hard to find for this series these days though, so if there's anything missing/broken it'll be noticeable.

Is the table wooden or a metal stand?

The included chucks are a bigger question, and could out-value the lathe itself depending on how many are included. A picture of what's going to be included could help us give you a better ballpark.

Welcome, Sylvia. As mentioned above, the regional market varies, but a good rule of thumb is to expect used tools and equipment, in good working order, to sell for about 50% of their original purchase price. This seems to hold, on average, with little regard to the age of the item. Of course, demand may vary wildly, this is just a guideline to help set overall expectations.

You might post pictures in our "For Sale" sub-forum, in case a member or three is local to you.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...