Cut through on cherry ply

wjffineww

I am hoping somebody has a good suggestion for me, I am totally bumming. I cut through the veneer on some cherry ply, right on the top front edge of a piece(of course). I am not quite sure how to go about hiding it. I typically use blendall sticks, but I know the cherry is going to get quite a bit darker than it is now, so I'm not sure how to handle it. Any help would be appreciated, completely replacing the part is not really an option. Thanks.

Cut a piece of veneer from another piece of plywood that was left from building the table then use a VERY sharp chisel or a router with a templet and a very small bit and cut out a piece of the damaged veneer and reglue the new piece down. Never cut a square out because that is too obvious maybe an odd irregular shape that follows some grain lines or a knot that would make it less noticeable and you should be able to get a great grain match due to the slip matching on the plywood. The other choice would be to make an accent there like a real inlay. If it would look odd having one there only then put another at the opposite corner. Make lemonaid out of lemons. Hope this might help a bit.

Dave

Thank you for the replies. It's not a very big area about a 1/2'' x 2'' right at the edge of the piece. I think the patch might be the way to go not sure if I can pull that off but I will give it a try. I'm using ML Cambell Magna Max lacquer for the finish, no stain.

The easiest way to cut the veneer piece off the waste plywood is the tablesaw. Hold a piece on edge and set the fence to cut just below the veneer then make a rip cut. You can then trim the piece off easier.

Dave