leg vise handle

Dave H

i've been building a workbench so yesterday got my leg vise screw from lee valley. a neighbor gave me a big chunck of maple stump wood i've been stumbling over it and moving it from place to place for about a year it happened to be about the right length for the handle of my leg vice so i busted abig cunck off with my fro and i could see this stump wood was highly figured so i turned the handle on my lathe and made the ends by hand with a rasp glued one end on and waiting to glue the other on later. not only is the wood figured it's tiger maple. here's a pic.

post-2926-0-70322700-1300229568_thumb.jp anyway it was a pleasent suprise.

now i wish there was a little root ball on the ends but it would reach out and grab ya just walking around the bench. yes it was hard to split something i didn't know the tiger figure each stripe is a wave in the grain the freshly spit edge looked really cool. i didn't know what i had until i sanded down to 150. it's about 20" it would be fun trying to figure out how to make a tiny root ball though. dave

hi tim i had a chance to have several chunks of the stump wood that i made the handle out of who ever chunked the stump out used a chain saw and the wood sat in a wood shed when it was offered to me you couldn't tell by looking at the aged blocks of wood what it was i knew it was maple so i took one chunk (note to self be more greedy) but there is enough left to do something with so i'll stumble over it until a need or idea hit's me. dave