Maria H.

Maria T.

Hello, in desperate need of help here and your website is like no other. In short, I treated oak ceiling boards with steel wool-vinegar mix to darken them (I don't like yellow/orange tones); however before putting them up my builder left them outside and they were rained on, so there are terrible tannin streak everywhere. Inexplicably, he put them up anyway. I'm about to sell the house but when you look up all you see is what looks like, the roof is leaking. I've considered oxalic acid as a remover, shellac as a barrier, milk paint, etc but my ceilings are 27' at the peak. I want to make this as simple as possible. Please share any thoughts??

Is there any finish on top of the steel wool-vinegar application? If not the wood is essentially bare and a primer and paint would work. You could use milk paint but for that height of ceiling the details that milk paint would provide wouldn't really be visible. I'd just use an interior matte or eggshell paint. IMO milk paint is better for items that you get close to or handle as it gives the antique brushed look and feel.

I strongly suggest a good shellac based primer though like Zinsser BIN. As that type of primer is the best at blocking tannin staining and is tinted so it'll help with coverage. Followed by a quality interior paint.

• Like 1

Oh i agree but when time is tight sometimes you just have to get it done. If you aren't staying in the house sometimes it isn't worth going the extra mile to never reap the benefits.

The hindsight is the steel wool treatment isn't a finish and should receive a top coat of poly. That would have prevented the weather damage. My guess is the contractor was unaware that the boards were unfinished?

As mentioned above, an opaque finish (paint) is the simplest solution. I have good experience with this Rustoleum product, or this from General Finishes.

Both are called "Milk Paint", but are actually acrylic coatings that provide a flat, smooth finish, in one or two coats, that would require a dozen or more coats of true milk paint. They are low odor products, and dry quickly.

The comment regarding a stain-blocking primer still applies, though.

No...I applied the steel wool vinegar mix right there at his mill...no finish needed since they were going up on the ceiling (I actually did use a limewash). I think I will go back and lightly brush to improve ahesion, use shellac (I'll mix it myself) and then go over it with a dilute white paint again (I don't like any chemicals so I'll make my own). My only concern (BIG!) is that I'm going to look up one day, even after the shellac is up, and see those powerful, determined tannins bleeding through...

IMG_1275.pdf

• Like 1