How to construct Regency scrolls

Roydoc

My wife wants a bench in Regency style. See photo. How does one construct the typical scroll feature? Must veneers be used? I have never made a piece with this feature, nor found it it any articles. Awaiting Lonnie Bird's book on Period Furniture on order. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks forum members.image.thumb.jpeg.8ac69cdfabc25d11bd879e445b952c40.jpegimage.jpeg.44b5d85f81ef37318aae28779148b59d.jpeg

• Like 1

On that second example, the "scroll" ends are concentric circles, rather than a spiral, so I'd guess they are machine cut, and are part of the front rail.  The first inage is a little too blurry to be sure.

The curved section between the front and back "scrolls" of the first example appears to have grain lines in the same direction as the central part of the top, and no end grain or cross-seam visible, so I guess veneer.

The curved section in tbe second photo looks like the grain is oriented perpendicular to the central part, which means a carved piece is possible, but veneer could be used there also.

In both cases, that section is definitely a separate piece from the top.  I would probably approach the core shape with blocked segments, as curved table aprons are often made, and cover with veneer. But you could certainly carve it from solid material, if you like.

• Like 2

Is the end piece typically a solid round when you look at the underside or is the under side "hollow"?   That might give a clue as to how it was made.

If you build yours with the grain as in the second photo I would consider tracing the curve on each end of the piece as guide lines (solid wood) and using a bench plain to and/or spoke shave to shape the curved surface.  Interesting project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...