Cutlist

ehellis

Hi All,

I have tried, with no luck, to get cutlist 4.0.7 to work with Sketchup 7. I can't get it to load or anything. I am using a Mac and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have been able to download and use the wood textures I found here on the forum.

Thanks

Emil, I would be happy to help if I can. Into what location did you extract the ZIP file when you downloaded it? It should be Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/Plugins. If you put it anywhere else, it won't work. When you look at the Plugins directory you should see a folder called cutlist and a file called cutlist. Check to see that you kept the contents of the cutlist folder inside the folder and didn't get any outside into the Plugins folder.

Do you have a Plugins menu? If not, click on SketchUp (to the left of File)>Preferences. Go to Extensions and tick all of the boxes you see. You should have the Plugins menu and an entry for Cutlist in that menu.

If none of that helped, let me know what you are getting and we'll go from there.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the fast response. I have Cutlist in the plugins folder now (both the folder and the file "CutlistandMaterials.rb"). When I click on Cutlist in the plugins menu I get an empty box (menu?) on the screen. I am using Firefox as my browser. Is there a tutorial available anywhere?

Thanks,

Emil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone ever figure this out? I've spent a few hours now trying to get cutlist 4.1.1 to work on my mac running sketchup 7. I've done everything listed above and I've loaded some other plugins that do work. My main interest in cutlist is to calculate board feet so I'd be happy to hear any suggestions that will do just that. Thanks,

Josh

http://lumberjocks.com/daltxguy/blog/5143

I just downloaded cutlist from that link. Then extract the cutlist.rb file and the cutlist folder into your "Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins" or wherever you have Sketchup installed. Note that you will have to close down Sketchup and open it back up to see it in your Plugins list.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a Sketchup drawing of a plan I saw online. I posted about it in another post here (). My question here is that while I was able to get Cutlist installed and working, I was not getting the results from Cutlist that I thought I should.

When I highlighted all the objects on my drawing, and ran Cutlist, I got a long list of board cuts. But when you look at it, all the pieces are the same 3/4" thickness, and could all be cut from a single half-sheet (48"x48") of plywood. Why doesn't Cutlist show this? Instead it shows me needing to cut my parts from boards, and then duplicated much of the pieces in the cut list.

Can someone help me on the way to use Cutlist to most effectiveness?

Thanks!

-- Andrew

When I highlighted all the objects on my drawing, and ran Cutlist, I got a long list of board cuts. But when you look at it, all the pieces are the same 3/4" thickness, and could all be cut from a single half-sheet (48"x48") of plywood. Why doesn't Cutlist show this? Instead it shows me needing to cut my parts from boards, and then duplicated much of the pieces in the cut list.

Cutlist uses the name of the material to determine whether a part should be cut from boards or from sheet goods. By material, I mean the color/texture of the part. Many times folks just use the standard material caller "Default" which looks white or blue depending on which side is out. With standard settings, Cutlist looks for the words "sheet veneer plywood hardboard mdf" within the name of the material so you have 2 options.

1. Make a new material called "Plywood" or something that has one of the magic words in it, and use this material for your parts. It doesn't matter what color it is, the name is the key. This is the "right" way to do it.

2. The "easy" way to do it is to just add the word "default" to the list of magic words in the Cutlist settings. This is the field called "Sheet Material Words" on the "Cutlist" tab. But this will make everything in your model that uses the Default material get cut from sheet goods, so be careful.

• 4 months later...

Hi, first off thanks for the awesome plugin.

Now then, I have the plugin working fine on my old laptop, the one I take along with me in the car. It still runs windows XP and the sketchup version is 8 (the free one).

I have another laptop that is newer that is kept at home, it runs Vista 64-bit, and the google sketchup version on this one is also 8 (the free one).

I cant get the plug in to run on the Vista computer to save my life, even after trying every remedy in every post I can hunt up on the internet.

The correct files are in the correct location, of this I am positive. When I open sketchup and click on plugins the only option is “generate cutlist”. And it does generate a cutlist of everything selected and sends the .csv file straight to the directory, however it does NOT open any kind of box like its supposed to to give me options to check. On my other computer it opens the blue cutlist box with all the options.

Something strange I noticed, just out of curiousity, I rebooted into “safe mode with networking”. I opened sketchup and clicked on plugins. Low and behold the choice “cutlist” was there (NOT “generate cutlist”). And when I clicked on it, the Cutlist box opened up with all the choices just as supposed to. However when I boot back into regular mode its just like it was before.

Can anybody help me out here please? I’m sure its something obvious that just keeps eluding me, but its very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Terri