Compatibility between Lacquer and polys

Dankma

Hello! I make guitars. I'm planning to use a Nitro Lacquer-based color for the base coat, and then I'm planning to clear coat it with either automotive urethane or polyester clear. I don't wish to use Nitro Clear for the top coat. I was wondering if I would have any adhesion or compatibility issues using those materials? Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Welcome, @Dankma!  I can't speak from experience with that particular combination of finishes, but the only adhesion problems I HAVE experienced involved laying polyurathane over a simple drying oil, like linseed. As long as you allow the base coat to fully cure, and follow the mfg. directions for top coat application, I suspect you will be successful.

• Like 2

Customer service for the products in question might have some insight.   A test panel might also be worthwhile time spent, though that won't give you long term performance. 

I'm just curious, why not a top coat of clear lacquer? 

On 7/17/2023 at 8:23 AM, Mark J said:
On 7/17/2023 at 8:23 AM, Mark J said:

I'm just curious, why not a top coat of clear lacquer? 

Thanks for your answer. I honestly don't like Lacquer at all, too much work for what i consider a finish with poor protective qualities, altough it polishes really nice