Roofing cap gun

BillyJack

On 7/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Tom King said:

I used the hammer stapler type rather than drag an air hose for that.  I loaned mine to a friend years ago, and it never came back, or I would send it to you.  For one job, I'd buy the hammer stapler rather than a gun.

They say staplers are fine if your roofing it that day, but if it’s not roofed over a day or so you need the buttons.

Ill be roofing 20 squares by myself..

Here is what I was talking about.  These use plastic caps.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-CH38A-Autofeed-Cap-Hammer/dp/B002FYCZCA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XMD07DH2HC5C&keywords=stinger+cap+stapler+ch38a&qid=1689791807&sprefix=stinger+cap+stapler+ch38a%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-1

I wouldn't get the one where you have to pull a trigger to advance the caps.

The only thing I do with roofing paper now is roll it down the long way under standing seam panels.  I don't put any fasteners in it because they show through making a little raised thing on the surface of the metal.  I don't walk on it, but reach across to slam the panel seams together.   I quit doing asphalt shingles a long time ago.

I think the only real purpose is to stop condensation under the metal from moisture coming up through the cracks of sheathing.  I questioned the necessity of that until I built our dog porch with metal right over the plywood, and it does drip through some of the cracks on mornings after very damp nights.  I'm sure it will need to be replaced at some point, but it's 21 years old now, and still looks good on top.

The synthetic roofing paper is a major advance over tar paper.  I never bought another roll of tar paper after buying the first roll of the synthetic stuff.  It costs more in dollars, but costs less on my back, both toting it, and unrolling it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...