Minimum hardener to bondo ratio

bradleyheathhays

I'll show ya what I'm working with here.  I've got about a 15 in tall 3D PLA plastic printed form I'm filling and sanding to smooth.  The 3D printer's layers are .3 mm so those are the lines seen in the pictures.  This picture is after 3 coats of high build filler / primer and 1 sanding with 120.  I've got another 3 coats on now and will sand tomorrow to see how well 6 coats fill the lines in.  I'm sure something else would work better and be less expensive to use, and the putty you mentioned might be the thing.  I've seen putty called spot putty and glazing putty.  Both come in a tube a little wider and shorter than a tube of toothpaste, and one has a hardener and the other doesn't?  I'm not entirely sure which is which.  This finished form is going to be used to make a silicone mold negative so whatever filler I use doesn't have to be high grade...just so it sticks to PLA plastic, which this high build primer seems to do well.  The second picture has some distortion in the form of added dots.  I was trying to get a better view of the small lines between print layers.  Not sure why the spray filler has a tendency to fill the edge of the lines last.  I'm sanding with perfectly flat sandpaper adhered to 1/4" acrylic sheet cut specifically for each facet size.

sand 2.JPG

sand 1.gif

• Like 1

Bondo will do that, but a better quality body filler will save a lot of time and work.  It's a lot creamier, and goes on smoother for thin coats.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-01131-Platinum-Plus-Filler/dp/B005RNEYAM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3S7K81FIZ3KSR&keywords=3m%2Bplatinum%2Bbody%2Bfiller&qid=1691493924&sprefix=3m%2Bbody%2Bfiller%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Try sanding with finer sandpaper too, like 150 or even 220.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a very ambitious project for a first body work job.  If it's to be sprayed with a high gloss finish, every step is important, as is the atmosphere it's to be sprayed in, and the equipment used.  When it comes time to buff it out, you're going to have to stay off those sharp corners or they will burn through causing you to have to start over.

You should be good at it by the time you finish.

• Like 2

I use that silicone mold stuff for casting window sills on old houses out of concrete.  I age a wooden model, and pull the mold off of that.  They had a lot better wood 200 years ago than we do today and theirs didn't last, so it makes no sense to go back with wood.

• Like 1

I use Yellow Pine framing lumber which is close enough to the old Long Leaf Heart Pine sills they replace.  Make the sill the size I need, burn the surface with a propane torch some, which mostly erodes the soft grain, and then go over it with a Surface Conditioning Tool with a soft wire brush wheel on it.  Suspend that in an outer form that allows enough room to pour the silicone in.

I have some rollers that do distressed wood for the top, but so far everyone has agreed with me to do the sloping tops smooth so they can shed water easier, and most people won't look at that part anyway.

Once the silicone mold stuff cures, the outer form is pulled on.  The silicone is stretchy enough to pull off the form, which was coated with a Lecithin release agent that comes in a spray can.  

A metal pan is folded up to hold the concrete from running down in the wall and put in place.  I usually use trim coil vinyl coated aluminum because they usually have some tight folds.  The form used to make the silicone mold is put in place on the outside, and the concrete poured in place.  The form is taken off a few days later.

That is left to cure for six months or so, then coated with epoxy, and painted.  It ends up looking just like an old wooden one.

It's not as bad as it sounds like.  I don't want to bother to do stuff that only lasts a few decades.  Paint today is so good it's like putting a plastic sack over a wooden window sill.  Water is going to get in, and stay in, which shortens the life of any wood in that postion.

I made some out of Live Oak back in the early '80's thinking they would last a long time, but they didn't.  Treated wood doesn't stay treated long enough either under paint.

I have some pictures somewhere, but I don't think of the whole process. When I'm working, I don't often think to slow up enough to take pictures.  Almost all the pictures on my old website were taken by someone else.

• Thanks 1