Brush Thinner

aodantin

I guess my first question is:  Are you talking about their standard varnish, their one part polyurethane varnish, or their two part?

Epic basically divides their thinners into two types:  Brushing and Spraying.  The spray thinners have a lower flash point, and so evaporates more quickly, which is better for spraying.  The brush thinners are the opposite:  They take a little longer to flash off, which is more helpful if you're applying by brush.

Assuming you're using their standard varnish, and applying it via brush, then choose their thinner for paint and varnish - brush.  You'll know it's the correct one because the item number starts with "TPVB".  For instance, the half liter can is "TPVB.500", and the one liter is "TPVB.1000".

If you're using their one part poly, you want the Polyurethane Brush Thinner, PUTB.1000.

And if you're using the two part, you want the thinner for PP Extra: TPPX.

Because you said "clear varnish to seal my new front door", I'm guessing it's their standard varnish, so the TPVB should do.

• Thanks 1

I used their varnish for years.  I don't any more.  The door will need to be down for days to get enough coats on it.

My current varnish for that use is Total Boat Lust.  You can recoat that every hour.  I have a thread here somewhere about entry doors I used it on.  I don't believe it's any less durable than Epifhanes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, TotalBoat is Jamestown's house brand, and I often wonder with whom they contract to make their stuff.  It's a good option.

Epifanes also makes a rapid coat varnish designed to add several coats a day.  Only issue is you want to use their standard stuff on the last coat, as that's where all the UV stuff is.

I avoided talking about other stuff, because the original question directly related to the appropriate thinner.  I will say that for something like a door (actually, for most things) I'm migrating to the two part stuff.  I have Interlux Perfection on my boat, and that has held up very well, and is easy to add a coat every now and then.  I've used Bristol Finish as well, and really liked it.  AwlGrip has a new thing I'd like to try, and I'm itching to try the Epifanes two part as well. 

Better life through chemistry, right?

I bought Epifanes high gloss clear varnish extra UV filter. I plan on applying it to my new exterior door with a rag as Marc suggested in his blog.  He said this is his application of choice that he still uses. The door is already installed, so I will be applying the varnish in place. Since I’m applying the varnish to the door that’s already in place, should I use the spray thinner to dilute the varnish since I will need it to dry quickly?

On 12/28/2023 at 7:29 AM, aodantin said:

I bought Epifanes high gloss clear varnish extra UV filter. I plan on applying it to my new exterior door with a rag as Marc suggested in his blog.  He said this is his application of choice that he still uses. The door is already installed, so I will be applying the varnish in place. Since I’m applying the varnish to the door that’s already in place, should I use the spray thinner to dilute the varnish since I will need it to dry quickly?

No, the varnish will still take a while to dry.  It's the thinner that flashes off quickly, not the varnish.  The brush thinner allows more time to get the varnish on without holidays or brush marks.  

How many coats will you apply with the rag?  I normally go with brush, though rolling and tipping work well.

Typical application is thin the first coat 50% for pore sealing, next coat about 25%, then 10% or so depending on how it works.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:35 AM, Mark J said:

@Don Z., that's a beauty in your avatar.   If you had the inclination to start a new thread in off topic, I'm sure several of us would be interested in hearing more about the boat.

What, this old thing?  Yeah, there's a story behind it.  Let me put my thoughts into a coherent message, and we'll go from there.

PA025133.jpg

• Like 1