Another Warp/Bow Issue

Hi All,

I am making solid wood French doors out of 2x construction joists. The joints are glued, as are the 2 cross boards. I left one of the doors alone for a couple weeks and it's bowing. Please see pictures below. The only thing I can think of is to spritz the concave side with water, and then force it back (and beyond a little bit) with clamps. Leave it like that for a couple weeks and hope for the best. But I really don't know the best way to tackle this without fear of it bowing again. I am aiming for an old, worn, and weathered look. So these don't have to be perfect. I honestly don't recall how long I let the boards acclimate in my shop. But I know it probably wasn't long enough. Less than a week or two. That's on me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

image.thumb.jpeg.dcad3542b4c950ce786cd8c22432e3c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a1c66e57e09b4d4a01b6a4781027738c.jpeg

The other, finished door for your reference:

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8cb58b6c95ac39af1785c1879c6595.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.90add66c225fca7df85fbfba09a01922.jpeg

• Like 2

Growing up in a rural part of the Southern U.S., I was familiar with such door construction in the homes of my grand- and great-grandparents. In my experience, these doors were never glued. Instead, the cross members,usually including a diagonal brace, were nailed through, and the nails clenched. This created a strong attachment, but left the  vertical boards free to move independently, which reduced the warping of the panel, overall. 

It also made for a lot of air gap, so exterior doors were mostly made of 2 layers of 1x stock, overlapped in a board and batten style.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, wtnhighlander said:

these doors were never glued. Instead, the cross members,usually including a diagonal brace, were nailed through, and the nails clenched. This created a strong attachment, but left the  vertical boards free to move independently, which reduced the warping of the panel, overall. 

That reminds me of time I spent off grid in the 70's in Northwest Arkansa near the Boston mountains. Our power tool was the chainsaw. The lumber was green rough sawn oak. Nailed and clinched. Added an old blanket to the inside to cut down the draft. a 4 sided log cabin. It became storage after the dome was built.

• Like 1