Question for Lie-Nielsen Plane Users

ChetlovesMer

It will cut nice enough out of the box but it will cut beautifully, and save you time re-honing, if you take the iron to your finest grit of sharpening medium, whether that be stones, sandpaper, etc., and take a few minutes to put a secondary bevel on it. I'm pretty sure Lie-Nielsen's site even recommends doing this.

My experience has been with a low angle block and low angle jack plane from LN and I can say that they both came relatively sharp and cut decent, but once they were both properly sharpened they were incredible! I will say that the low-angle block could not cut end-grain very well out of the box, but once it was sharpened it took nice, clean shavings on the end-grain.

You are going to sharpen your plane blade so many times over the life of the plane, not having to sharpen it once really isn't that big a deal. What is a big deal, are the planes themselves. You don't have to "tune" them up. A lot of the "cheeper" planes on the market require a lot of tune-up, before they work well.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I just received the rabbet block plane this past Friday that I ordered from the a tool event. I was so close to completing a project that I have been working off and on during the winter months, that I wanted to jump right in and get it completed. I was planning on use the plane a little, but that turned into using it a lot. It left behind a pretty smooth surface for it just coming out of the box. Once I have completed the current project, I plan on honing all the hand tools that were used in building the project.

I just honed my LN #8 iron this weekend. I'd been using it out of the box because I didn't have a stone wide enough until now. While it took good shavings out of the box, it was nothing like the shavings it's taking now. I'm now a believer in sharpening even the best tools out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a blogpost today from Highland woodworking (http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/2011/05/the-plane-facts-no-60-12r-low-angle-rabbet-block-plane/) that recommended sharpening the blades before first use. Theirs are sharpened up to 400 grit prior to shipping.

I also sharpen the blade right out of the box. It really doesn't take much time. Nice link AJ!