Horrible Lathe Accident

lighthearted

Something to keep in mind.

I have been with my daughter while she uses the lathe, with her hair tied back, this is an important safety reminder for everyone.

Be safe.

NEW HAVEN -- A Yale University student from Massachusetts died in an accident Tuesday night at the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, Yale officials said this morning.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Michele Dufault's hair got caught in a lathe, a piece of machinery that spins very quickly, and it pulled her in, sources said. The Connecticut Medical Examiner’s office reported that she died from accidental asphyxia by neck compression.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/04/13/news/doc4da58c22c4b1f135149346.txt

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/apr/13/student-dies-accident-sterling-chemistry-laborator/

Very sad.

My shop teacher in Gr 7 sacrificed a mop to show us the perils of large spinning chucks. He dangled the mop head into the chuck and we watched the mop get sucked into the chuck and the wooden handle get snapped off. Very graphic, but it sure as heck stuck with me.

That is awful!

Forever ago, when I broke in as a young engineer, I worked for an electric motor company. At the time the engineers built and tested their own prototypes. I wish I was making this up, but we actually HAD TO WEAR TIES! I remember thinking how freaking stupid is it to wear a tie while operating a dyno? I couldn't convince management that wearing a tie was horribly unsafe. So, I wore a clip on. Yeah, I know clip on ties are for nerds, but I thought I'd rather wear a clip on tie, and look like a geek, than lose my neck. ... Idiots!

I know some guys who still work there and I've heard that they dress casually now in the office and especially the motor lab.

That is a terrible accident. I learned from my Father and Grandfathers to respect the machinery on the farm and in the shop. We didn't have all the safety guards and such as there are now. I am in the process of passing that information on to my son that is interested in woodworking.

I can recall working for my first company out of college. We serviced mainframes and high speed line printers. Of course this was in the time of "big blue" and so we had to wear white dress shirts and ties. I never went near any of those machines wearing my tie or with my sleeves down. Thankfully, the managers were experienced service persons and never had an issue with it. The wife I think still has nightmares about trying to remove printer ink and such from my shirts. :lol: