Starting a Blog with RSS Import

thewoodwhisperer

This forum allows you to start a new blog, or simply import the posts from your existing blog via RSS. Here's how you do it.

post-1-001370400 1281842096_thumb.png Start by clicking on your name at the top right and choosing My Settings.

post-1-080207800 1281842135_thumb.png Then Click on Blogs under Your Options.

post-1-059444000 1281842159_thumb.png Read the Terms & Rules, click that you agree, then click Next.

post-1-075437600 1281842192_thumb.png Give your blog a name and a description, then click Finish.

post-1-038885300 1281842229_thumb.png Your blog is now created. If you want to import posts from an external blog via RSS, click on Options.

post-1-030429100 1281842282_thumb.png Select Manage RSS Import.

post-1-036536900 1281842312_thumb.png Copy and paste your external blog's RSS feed into the first field, and select Save Changes. That's it. Whenever you publish a post on your external blog, it will also show up here on the forum.

Have fun and happy blogging.

Thanks for the tutorial, Marc. Unfortunately, I'm a complete RSS newbie with no web coding experience. I can't seem to get the instructions to work. I was hoping that you or another kind forum member might me able to help me out. Here are the details of my blog:

It's hosted by blogger (google) at http://penultimatewoodshop.blogspot.com/

When I use that address in the RSS Feed URL box under step 7 of Marc's instructions, I get an RSS_CLASS_ERROR message. When I use the address provided by blogspot when I chose atom under my "Subscribe To" widget I get another error.

I'll admit to a basic lack of understanding with the way RSS works and what I should be entering into the RSS Feed URL box.

Can anyone offer advice on where to find my blogspot RSS Feed URL, or how to get this sill thing up and running?

Thank you.

So when you import your blog, it copies all the postings (or does it just do the last n?) Will that wreak havoc on people's "new content" view under blogs or does it just remember the last entry and implicitly mark the rest as viewed? Just wondering if you import something with a lot of entries if people are gonna hate you for it ;)

So when you import your blog, it copies all the postings (or does it just do the last n?) Will that wreak havoc on people's "new content" view under blogs or does it just remember the last entry and implicitly mark the rest as viewed? Just wondering if you import something with a lot of entries if people are gonna hate you for it ;)

Paul-Marcel...I just tried this out and it looks like it picks up any new content posted to your blog, not all the old stuff.

Marc...this is great, I like this idea a lot and it was easy as pie to get it working.

Excellent, Ian... I only have 58 or so entries (some queued ;)) in my blog, but didn't want that suddenly showing up as new material plugging up the list of blogs with real content :lol:

I created mine as a redirect before and can't find the import option. I think I need to delete the blog then recreate it to get the option by picking a different type other than redirect.

Thanks for the info!

Dang, now I have to write something useful over there... -grumble-

Worked well; too cool. Since I had already created my blog as a redirect, none of the options for an import or even changing it from a redirect were available. I had to delete the redirect blog and create it anew. No big deal, but thought I'd point it out.

The forum actually gives you two types of blogs that you can set up. An external and internal. I found this was very confusing to people since most people with an outside blog will select external. Well all this did was create a glorified link to your blog. What you really needed to do was make an internal blog and link up the RSS feed. Well, how the heck would anybody know that?!?! So I just removed the option for what they refer to as an "external blog" and now there is only one option. Either start a blog and begin writing, or start a blog and import your RSS. There's just no reason to have the other type. So that's why you had to delete the old one and start over Paul.

Hey I just tried it and it worked, but the issue i am having is it only seems to show about half the images from the original blog post and the rest instead of an image it just shows the link? is there some kind of limit on amount of images that can be added per post over here?

• 7 months later...

Marc,

I really like this feature you have for the blogs. But, I am having some diffuculty with this. I am now using Feedburner to distribute my blogs and the URL is this

http://feeds.feedburner.com/woodlandturnings/oSaf

When I post a message, It is not getting pulled into your site, but if I go into Manage my Blog, and re-enter my feed link, it will pull the messages all the way back to the last time I updated the feed link on your site. Odd behavior to say the least, perhaps you can give me some assistance on getting this sorted out.

Thanks,

Roger