Storing an Oak Log

So my neighbour cut down the Red Oak that was in his back yard and being the kind gentleman that he is he gave me the trunk rather than bucking it into fire wood.

My dilemma is I have 2, 5 foot long by 10" across logs in my yard. My real job dictates that I can't do anything with them till September.

What should I do with them storage wise till then.

Thanks

Stampy

Option 1: Keep them off the ground and out of the sun. Allow air around them. Expect some checking. Use good supports to avoid bowing they are short but will still want to move.

Option 2: Keep them wet but off the ground using a sprinkler no standing water. This will help keep them from checking until you can saw them. Wont need any water at night and you can use a timer to run the water. Keep them out of the sun as well.

Option 3: Saw them now and store the boards so they can dry slow.

Option 4: Have used this on boards not logs. Pack or cover them completely in shavings from a planer this will slow the drying process but may induce rot of some type. The shavings will be dry but will help to control and slow the moisture from leaving the logs. The moisture will be taken up by the shavings and equalize with the logs.

There may be a better way but this is what I have done or not done :) Most sawmills around here use the sprinkler method during the summer on the stockpiles. They also use a kiln after sawing. I also have limited experience with hard woods so grain of salt there too.

My opinion for what it is worth: If they were just cut down, don't do anything with them other than maybe move them out of the sun if you have a spot. They'll be fine until September. You won't get any deep checking in that time frame.

Tim V

who cuts up logs with an Alaskan Mill.

Hey Stampy did the smart thing and looked at where you live. Relative humidity is high there most of the year. Shade is the big thing I figure there. I know where I live is dryer and for sure a log checks in less than a month here in July and August. Mind you Red Oak may be different then what I am used to. I agree with Tim V though in your location you should be good keeping them out of the sun. Put a tarp or something over them and in the shade will do the trick I figure. Not sure about painting the ends but dont see any harm there either if you got some paint kicking around.

Right On, thanks boys

Always handy to bounce this kinda stuff off you guy's.

You all hit on what I was thinking.

I've got some exterior primer in the shop so I'll hit the ends with that and prop them up off the ground

a foot or so on the north side of the house.

Thanks all