Finish for Teak

tombuhl

I am making a teak credenza to go in an office with 1950s Danish Modern teak furniture. Natural finish appearance.

Any recommendations for a finish?

The top will have audio components (turntable and tube amplifier) resting there.

Inside for vinyl albums on left and CD changer on right.

I've heard the expression "Danish" oil and probably have even bought such stuff.

Is that a specific finish or just a "marketing name" which covers many finish types.

Thanks

I am making a teak credenza to go in an office with 1950s Danish Modern teak furniture. Natural finish appearance.

Any recommendations for a finish?

The top will have audio components (turntable and tube amplifier) resting there.

Inside for vinyl albums on left and CD changer on right.

I've heard the expression "Danish" oil and probably have even bought such stuff.

Is that a specific finish or just a "marketing name" which covers many finish types.

Thanks

Tom, for a close to the wood finish, I really love the Sutherland Wells polymerized tung oil. http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/products/tung-oil/

My buddy Nabil Adbo recommended it for Gretchin's Cradle and I fell in love with the stuff. I really don't plan on using anything else unless a very heavy duty finish is called for. It's extremely easy to apply.

Tom, for a close to the wood finish, I really love the Sutherland Wells polymerized tung oil. http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/products/tung-oil/

My buddy Nabil Adbo recommended it for Gretchin's Cradle and I fell in love with the stuff. I really don't plan on using anything else unless a very heavy duty finish is called for. It's extremely easy to apply.

Thanks Vic,

Their tech guy said that the Murdoch's Hard Sealer was more appropriate for this because of the plywood. I also ordered some of the polymerized tung oil to try on some future endeavor.

Thanks for your suggestion. Always a pleasure working with you.

tom

Thanks Vic,

Their tech guy said that the Murdoch's Hard Sealer was more appropriate for this because of the plywood. I also ordered some of the polymerized tung oil to try on some future endeavor.

Thanks for your suggestion. Always a pleasure working with you.

tom

I forgot to mention they have great technical assistance. You'll have to let me know what you think of the Murdoch Sealer. Also, remember on the tung oil, that you don't sand to the grits your usually sand to. They recommend to higher than 200, or the pores wont adequately uptake the finish. I lightly sanded to 320 in between coats, starting after the 2nd coat. It seemed to work well. I bought the medium lustre and it was a great finish to work with.