Aluminum Oxide Finish

ShawnR

I just purchased 3/4" rustic maple flooring which was finished with a clear aluminum oxide finish. I also bought some unfinished flush floor vents. I'm hoping to match the floor and vents. Does anyone have a recommendation on what finish would be comparable? Would a polyurethane work? Would I have to worry about the finish yellowing? Thanks!

Is the floor clear coated with (ceramic) finish? I'm not familiar with the aluminum oxide term? If the vents are made of wood? A good water-based topcoat will do fine and shouldn't be a problem with heat and yellowing. Just make sure to test on the underside of the vent for color.

-Ace-

aluminum oxide is a type of finish that alot of manufactures are going to because of its hardness, and as far as i understand it is basically a type of crystal that is mixed with thier polyurethane when they finish the flooring creating a very hard and durable surface. If the floor is distressed you will want to try to duplicate that with your vents as well, either a poly or a water based should do fine just try to match the sheen of the floor, if that is off, it will be pretty noticable.

aluminum oxide is a type of finish that alot of manufactures are going to because of its hardness, and as far as i understand it is basically a type of crystal that is mixed with thier polyurethane when they finish the flooring creating a very hard and durable surface. If the floor is distressed you will want to try to duplicate that with your vents as well, either a poly or a water based should do fine just try to match the sheen of the floor, if that is off, it will be pretty noticable.

Great information FloorBoard. We are then talking about the same coating. I'm familiar with the general term of "Ceramic" coating. Mostly used in floor coatings or RTA type flat panel construction and some automotive finishes. Super scratch resistant.

-Ace-

Yeah , same thing, I'm pretty sure that the aluminum oxide finishes are UV cure and not availible publically, I wouldn't worry about the wearability just go for what looks best.

Also, a good amount of floor manufactures will add dye to the product to give it an aged look on the distressed/handscraped (even on a "natural" color) usually a yellow or brown, so if isn't matching try incorporating some color,

• 5 weeks later...