buying a router

ediazf

Hi guys, just wanted to get a new router. I currently have a skil, 1/4 inch collet router and it is a little underpower, the base isin't quite centered etc etc... anyway it doesn't do any bad to have two router, doesn't it? maybe I can get that skil one permanently under my router table. Anyway I gota few years in woodworking and want to buy a good and versatile one. I was thinking one of those that have a fixed base and a plunge combo and obviusly 1/2 and 1/4 inch collet so I can use all the bits I own now.

My limitations, I am from chile and here we have 220 volts, so the router has to consider that and it have to cost under USD 250. With the shipping and the taxes when it arrives it will be very expensive :S, the VAT alone here is 19% :o

I was thinking THIS ONE, I know there is a boch alike combo, well maybe it is stupid question, but it is really hard to get the voltage ratings of this tools on their descriptions, so if u can help me and recommend me one, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance, my english is bad but understandable I think, hahaha

Hi guys, just wanted to get a new router. I currently have a skil, 1/4 inch collet router and it is a little underpower, the base isin't quite centered etc etc... anyway it doesn't do any bad to have two router, doesn't it? maybe I can get that skil one permanently under my router table. Anyway I gota few years in woodworking and want to buy a good and versatile one. I was thinking one of those that have a fixed base and a plunge combo and obviusly 1/2 and 1/4 inch collet so I can use all the bits I own now.

My limitations, I am from chile and here we have 220 volts, so the router has to consider that and it have to cost under USD 250. With the shipping and the taxes when it arrives it will be very expensive :S, the VAT alone here is 19% :o

I was thinking THIS ONE, I know there is a boch alike combo, well maybe it is stupid question, but it is really hard to get the voltage ratings of this tools on their descriptions, so if u can help me and recommend me one, I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance, my english is bad but understandable I think, hahaha

I own that router kit, have beat on it for two years, and it works really, really well.

I have two routers both Bosch 1617EVSP -- one just the motor in a fixed base an one with the plunge router base. One hangs in my router table and one is for everything else. I love my Bosch but have used the DeWalt at a class and it worked well. It should work well for you. You might have to order from some place other than Amazon - I saw a note that said they only ship it to the US or APO boxes.

When we lived down in Peru, I will say that it was a pain in the neck to keep track of Transformers and make sure that the one we were using was big enough for the application. If it were me, I'd look a little harder or perhaps pay a little more to get one that took 220V.

When we lived down in Peru, I will say that it was a pain in the neck to keep track of Transformers and make sure that the one we were using was big enough for the application. If it were me, I'd look a little harder or perhaps pay a little more to get one that took 220V.

Yeah I know, thats my concern. I use a ton brick ( hahah not that much actually) to power a xbox 360 that runs on 110v, and I imagine that the power requeriments are much bigger on the router.

How does an european person gets a router online, from amazon or something like that?

I can get a 500watts transformer pretty easily, would that be enough? (for the DEWALT DW618PK 12 AMP 2-1/4 HP)

I can get a 500watts transformer pretty easily, would that be enough? (for the DEWALT DW618PK 12 AMP 2-1/4 HP)

watts = volts * amps 110*12 = 1320 watts

your best bet would be to buy a 2000 watt transformer, as that's more than you can pull from most wall sockets in the us without tripping the breaker.

I just went the DeWalt web site. They do have a web site for Chile: http://www.dewalt.cl/

They list distributors in Santiago. So I am thinking there might be a 220v version of the DeWalt if you can find a Chile distributor.

Sorry but my one year of Spanish isn't good enough to get much else off that site for you.

I just went the DeWalt web site. They do have a web site for Chile: http://www.dewalt.cl/

They list distributors in Santiago. So I am thinking there might be a 220v version of the DeWalt if you can find a Chile distributor.

Sorry but my one year of Spanish isn't good enough to get much else off that site for you.

Thanks for you help man, and your time, really appreciate it.

I looked on the site, but they only have THIS version.. wich I know may be a good router, but now I am mad about a combo like the other ones. I even looked in european dewalt sites and there is a version combo but it much much "weak" and it is really a trimmer with multiple bases... I do find something that may work, I found a PORTER CABLE 6931 THIS ONE in chile, it cost arround USD 340, the thing is that I don't know for sure if the motor is removable and if it is, if I would be able to get a fixed base.

I called the store and they told me that the internet information is all they know (typical chile :( ) So I am going to have to go to the store, but I think I might be able to go next week