Board width capacity

Texfire

All good advice, and I agree, I lean towards the better 8" with the spiral head, but do I need that capacity? How much capacity do I really need? What calls for an 8" jointer? Besides a board more than 6" wide that is. What do ya'll do that uses that capacity?

Besides just being able to joint wider boards, a wider jointer allows you to skew a narrower board as you joint it, which can help with tricky grain and tearout.

A wide jointer is great. I have the Rikon 10" jointer/planer combo, which sometimes gets short shrift for having a relatively short jointer bed. After having had it for a few years, I can say I'd rather have extra width than length in a jointer bed if I had to pick between the two.

Latest FWW that arrived yesterday reviewed the Rikon 12" j/p. Looks nice. What I liked from the photos is that you flip up just one side of the tables; planing position looks higher than others. Hey, if you are considering 1,000 options, what's another?!

I think that's the jointer that I'm going to get. I don't want to regret not ponying up a little more later. Your description of the details of how those features benefit in a real world made me understand them better.

Josh

I think that's the one I'm gonna get, too. I should have mine in less than a month and I'll post my report card if you haven't bought yours yet.

This forum rocks!