2nd opinion on shop layout

gardnesd

In some ways I'm embarassed of the garage shop. I'm thinking of bringing a buddy over and letting him walk through and maybe look at things with a fresh set of eyes. Feel a little overwhelmed with attempts at organization. I have forgotten what my benchtop looks like. Need some more perspective on shop set up/ organizaton. Has anyone done this before?

I did just that and it was a big success. My table saw was sort of wedged into my oddly shaped basement shop. I had enough square feet for a table saw that size, but there was no good place to put it. I was stuck on the idea that the table saw needed to be in the middle of the room. My friend suggested that I put the end of the extension against the wall, making the table saw into a sort of peninsula. It was a great idea.

Your shop sounds just like mine. I often think of posting the floor plan of my shop and outlines of my tools, and giving a small prize to the person who makes the best layout suggestion.

Have you tried walking away from it and not worrying about it after you have put so much thought into it? Part of the design process is saturation of the idea. Let your subconscious do some work for you. I'm an architect, and that is a standard part of the design process. Saturate yourself with the various factors and then let it soak in.

A second set of eyes is also pretty standard operating procedure. The key thing here is to listen. If he shoots you some ideas, don't counter them immediately. If he tells you your saw could go there, don't immediately think of all the reasons why you have thought why that can't happen. Try to take in all of his suggestions and build it in your head the way he describes as a whole.

Another key thing would be how you invite him to participate. If you give him too much information, you are forcing him right into the corner with you. If you give him too little info, he may not be helpful (but this may actually be a strategy). You might give him some key points...I need the table saw near the 220 outlet or this thing should be next to that thing and then let him go.

If you had a sketch of the space and size of things, I could help you space plan it.

What helped me along in my garage revamp process was to put my garage into sketchup and then manipulate things within sketchup until I got is close to the way I wanted it.

Attached is a jpg of the sketchup drawing of my garage and then a real photo of my progress so far. It is still very much a work in-progress but, it has come a long way from where it was a few weeks ago.

post-612-0-34775100-1307656557_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14255000-1307656605_thumb.jpg

What helped me along in my garage revamp process was to put my garage into sketchup and then manipulate things within sketchup until I got is close to the way I wanted it.

Attached is a jpg of the sketchup drawing of my garage and then a real photo of my progress so far. It is still very much a work in-progress but, it has come a long way from where it was a few weeks ago.

thats a sweet setup

I found the sawstop sketchup model in the 3dwarehouse. This was the only one I found. The measurements are off slightly so, I edited the model to change the dimensions. Since only the extension table would really need to be adjusted, you can use this model and edit it.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?tags=SawStop

• 2 weeks later...

Your sketchup pic looks awesome, are you using the free version or the pro one?

I've just started using it and my creations are no where near your standard

Regards

Your sketchup pic looks awesome, are you using the free version or the pro one?

I've just started using it and my creations are no where near your standard

Regards

Thanks, I am using the free version. I didn't draw any of the tools, I found them all out in the google 3d warehouse.

I started out a while back just drawing the garage itself and as i built each item for the garage, i made a sketchup of it before i built it and then imported into the garage drawing.