Ever seen 38 million board feet of lumber?

moofie

I took this picture inside Hangar B at Tillamook Naval Air Station, a museum in Oregon. Now, you can only see one end of the hangar (designed for WW II patrol blimps to protect the Pacific Northwest from submarine attack), and I assume that the 38 million board feet statistic was for both hangars on the site, but...I don't care how you parse it, that's a lot of wood, this is a big structure, and it's pretty amazing what humans can accomplish when they put their minds to it.

OK, the F-14 is cool too.

post-806-0-23052700-1307845236_thumb.jpg

Each arch is about 200 feet tall, 300 feet wide, and the hangar is 1000 feet long. Concrete piers support arch trusses that were fabricated in five pieces and bolted together on the piers.

It's a pretty amazing place.

• Like 1

I have been to that museum! my wife's grandparents live in Portland and our last visit out there we went to that museum. like you, I spent a little while just studying the hangar itself. pretty impressive to look at a structure that big made of all wood. you can see the "frame" of a door opening of another hanger that burned years ago close to this one. oh yeah, I had a blast looking at all the planes too :D I'm a fan of the old WWII warbirds.

That would be impressive to see. I bet it is much higher than needed today to have accounted for the blimps. Kinda not nice that they called the poor patrols blimps... starvation challenged would be more polite.

I'm thinking it would have been wise to sand before assembly in this case.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to the museum at Wright Patterson AFB, and marveled at the sheer size of the planes they have in just one hangar. The hangar roof seems to be another half mile above the tallest tail fin inside. That photo dwarfs those hangars.

Sometimes, you can only just sit there in amazement that man has been able to build structures this amazing. And sometimes, that amazement is dumb-struck wonder, because these structures were built before the equipment we have available to us now even existed. it seems to lend credence to that theory that the aliens built the pyramids, because I would be lost picking out splinters from just trying to run a mere one percent over a table saw.

What type of wood did they use? I'd imagine they go on monthly inspection trips for insect damage, or rot prevention.

There are times my family just shakes their head in amusement at me, when I'm more fascinated by the building that the tourist marvel is housed in. I sometimes shake my head in sorrow, that they are sometimes painfully unaware of things that they take for granted and are truly wondrous. Like this hangar. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...