Porter Cable Table Saw

Guest 2112

I was looking at the $y=0$cm_cr=Power%20Saws%20and%20Blades-_-Web%20Activity-_-Power%20Saws%20and%20Blades%20A1%20Activity%209.3.10-_-SC_Power%20Saws%20%20Blades_Area1-_-68612_2$isQvSearch=$x=0]10" PC table saw that Lowes carries. I was thinking, $599 for a brand new 10" Porter Cable table saw is a pretty sweet deal, however I though it felt a little cheaper than I expected when I was looking at it. I like it because of the price and size. If I had a little more confidence in it I would grab it up.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular saw, or have any recommendation for someone trying to pick up a middle of the road table saw for around five or six hundred bucks? I always hear about people finding great deals at auctions, but I never seem to have the luck, and I guess it's nice to have a warranty. Plus, who doesn't like assembling a brand new toy?

Here it is.... Don't get it. Save your pennies for a few more months and get something better.. Some possibilities that pop into my head are this post-68-020157400 1282073730_thumb.jpg from Grizzly or this post-68-072757400 1282073729_thumb.jpg. Both of these saws have riving knives, a feature that you should want. That PC one does not have that. Now lets talk power, by looking at that PC one, I am going to guess that it is a direct drive motor, loud and annoying and not as powerful as something that you would get in the other saws.These two are also going to weigh a little more which will help with vibration and accuracy. The tops on both of these saws are full cast iron top. Not a cast center and stamped steel wings. The fence that comes with both of these saws are FAR superior than what comes with that PC. The hybrid has an enclosed cabinet which is going to help with DC greatly and the contractors has a hose that runs right up underneath the blade that will help with DC as well. As far as warranty, you will get one along with what others have said is the best customer service in the business. There are other options out there, this is just my opinion. I have heard people talk good things about that contractor version. This is just "MY" opinion. Let us know what you do. Remember it is better to buy a tool once and be happy, then buy and wish you would have bought the better tool.. Plus you still get to put together a new tool.

Also, if you want to see what other think about Grizzly tools, you can check out this thread:

http://woodtalkonline.com/topic/142-grizzly-tools/

Remember it is better to buy a tool once and be happy, then buy and wish you would have bought the better tool.. Plus you still get to put together a new tool.

Thanks for the input. I'm lucky to have a Grizzly store and warehouse right here in town. Having a full cast iron top would be worth the extra if nothing else. I was not impressed with the wings on the PC. I've got a few Grizzly power tools have never really had a complaint, I guess I just let that Porter Cable badge get to me a little bit.

Thanks again

I'm lucky to have a Grizzly store and warehouse right here in town.

You lucky guy!!!! That means that you can actually go pick it up and save a little more.. I must say, I am a fan of the bear.. My new Griz 12" jointer will be here tomorrow!!! I cant wait.. If I have a Griz store in town, I would probably be divorced. Where are you at anyway?

If I have a Griz store in town, I would probably be divorced. Where are you at anyway?

Ha, I hear that. I'm in Springfield, Missouri. I was in their warehouse to pick up my jointer I recently bought. It is just across the street from the retail store, and is hands down the biggest indoor environment I've ever seen, it's a wonderful, wonderful place. I guess I take it for granted sometimes. I think it's their main hub for distribution, since we are pretty much in the middle of the country. Maybe your jointer came from there. I hope you like it!

Oh it did come from there. I have been to that warehouse a few times.. I was there for the tent sale last year and I was also there another time when i was vacationing there. What jointer did you get?

I got the G0452P. It is nothing special, but does what I need for now.

I really like the hybrid tablesaw that you recommended, but one of the things I like about my jointer is that it has a mobile base. I've seen other table saws that have it and would be very handy, if not a necessity in my limited garage/shop area. Do you know of any aftermarket products? I came across this homemade one. Something like that may be the cheapest way to go.

I agree with Sac (!!!) Just teasin' Sac...

When I saw the price, I remembered that I paid $500 for my PM64S saw. More heafty, nicer fence, etc. The PC fence may be nice, but in the picture it looks aluminum. I used a table saw with an aluminum fence and found it flimsy. Note that I got the PM64S at that price from a big PM dealer who got their closeouts.

For a mobile base, there are some aftermarket bases that raise the saw to move it then place it on the floor when moved. That will afford you the best stability. My PM64 was on a very nice base (a Jet base; easily the best I've seen) and it would wiggle a bit when pushing big lumber through, which is not what you want under any circumstance. My current SawStop has the base built-in and it deposits the saw on its own base; rock steady, but that's another conversation.

So, look for a base like that. It'll cost more, but worth it.

Coincidentally, Rush came on Pandora as I replied to this thread. Go figure.

Nice. Always good to hear from someone who listens to Rush and works with wood.

In regards to the mobile base, I should have been more clear that I was indeed looking for the kind that will deposit the whole machine on it's own base. I'll check out the jet bases.

Thanks

There is also the Shop fox mobile base that Grizzly sells. I have one on my saw and it works. That is what I will say about it, but then again, I try to push it around from a wheelchair. Not that easy to do. THere are probably better options out there, but not at that price point.

It looks to me like the PCB270TS is an updated Hitachi C10FL, that adds a riving knife and better mobile base, but otherwise is alarmingly similar in many ways including the retailer. The C10FL is certainly capable of cutting wood if setup well and fitted with a decent blade, but overall it seems to get mixed reviews when compared to other full size saws in the < $1000 price range. I'd definitely prefer to go with something like a Grizzly hybrid, or even the new Craftsman 22116 granite top hybrid made by Steel City.