What is this

bernhardfrankel

HI

I have found all these cutting devices recently but I dont kno what they are for?

I hope som of you might be able to help me. They are made of good quality steel ( some are marked Sheffild) and weight quite a bit. (they also have that steel sound when tapped on)

I found these tools i the dumpster but I think its a shame to melt them if they can be used as they are.

The look like they should be used rotating - i imagine that they would be used on a big planer - but instead of planing the wood thy make it shape like doorframes used to be - but I dont know for sure?

Gallery can be found here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36935/index.html

Do ask if you need more info!

I Registred to this site just to ask this question so I apologize if its the wrong place to ask and would like to know if its ok to post links to the ebay auction once I know what the tools are for?

I think your on the right track, I'll bet those are all the cutters for some kind of molding machine. Maybe even a planner molder combo because some of the cutters have no prophile. It must have been one serious machine good luck.

Yep, those are old square cutters used in vertical router and planer.

The S-shaped ones and the triangular ones was used in a vertical router.

They are lethal - no joke!

For one thing, the cutting blade can come loose from the square spindle at any time. The blade will not stop for a human (I've heard stories of blades going through roofs never to be found again and there are reasons wood workers "commonly" lost limbs back in the day).

Another real hazard is the fact nothing limits the amount of wood that can be put into the cutter, kick-back is not directly mild if handled wrongly. Compare to a modern cutter where only a fraction of the blade protrudes out of the big round body.

I have both an old vertical router and an old planer of that kind but it looks like the planer was bigger than mine.

Here are some photos of the machines:

The vertical router. The spindle can be moved up and down:

Fr%2525C3%2525A4s.jpg

The spindle on the vertical router:

6%252520Spindeln%252520demonterad.jpg

Fence and square cutter mounted:

Anh%2525C3%2525A5ll.jpg

Make and model of my router:

7%252520Fabrikat%252520och%252520modell.jpg

Some of the cutters:

Kuttrar.jpg

S-shaped cutters:

x2%252520S-kuttrar.jpg

Regrettably I don't seem to have a decent photo of the planer anywhere, but you can see the business end here:

x7%252520Planhyvel.jpg

(I'm planning to move the planer out of the shop so I will make sure to document it properly before I do so, but if you {or anyone else} want some snaps I can get them in a few days)

Considering the dangers with these type of cutters I recommend putting them back in the bin (or use them for something completely different).