Noisy Table Saw Blade

javajake

I recently got my first cabinet saw (used Grizzly G1023Z). It's an awesome upgrade from my portable, plastic housing "contractor" table saw from Craftsman. It came with a Grizzly 60t (crosscut?) blade in great shape. Here's the deal: When I use that Grizzly blade, it screams. It makes this high-pitched noise that goes away (at least somewhat) while I am making a cut. The cheapo blades I have don't make that noise. What's the deal? Is it just that it's a heavier blade and doesn't have that "vibration dampening" that I have seen on the Freud blades? I don't think the Forest blades have that... Is there a way I can quiet it down?

If you take out the throat plate, does it still scream? I'm wondering if you have a rub going on. During a cut, you'd be dampening the vibration causing the noise.

I had a ZCI for my PM64. After making a trunnion adjustment, the ZCI slot was ever so off from the blade. It was actually so slightly off that raising the blade seemed to just direct the blade to the existing opening. So, it screamed. In my case, I filed it a bit and everything was cool. So, to clarify, my blade didn't flex to get into the slot; the slot was directly above the peak of the blade so it would go through the slot but since the slot was skew to the blade, it would ever so slightly rub against it.

If you take out the throat plate, does it still scream? I'm wondering if you have a rub going on. During a cut, you'd be dampening the vibration causing the noise.

I had a ZCI for my PM64. After making a trunnion adjustment, the ZCI slot was ever so off from the blade. It was actually so slightly off that raising the blade seemed to just direct the blade to the existing opening. So, it screamed. In my case, I filed it a bit and everything was cool. So, to clarify, my blade didn't flex to get into the slot; the slot was directly above the peak of the blade so it would go through the slot but since the slot was skew to the blade, it would ever so slightly rub against it.

Nothing is rubbing... I don't have a ZCI yet... It's definitely a vibration though...

Could just be the blade. I just swapped blades on my table saw, and there's a pretty distinct noise difference. The blade itself could be balanced improperly, which would cause it to vibrate like there's no tomorrow.

Maybe that's it.... It gets me to use hearing protection while I am using it, so maybe it's a good thing...

It's highly unlikely that the stock blade is a very high quality blade, and we all know that the blade and the alignment pretty much dictate how your dream saw will perform. (Are you reading between the lines yet?!)

If you're going from thin kerf blades to full kerf blades, there's going to be more wind noise from the sheer increase in blade width. I'd relegate the stock blade as a wall ornament and/or junk cuts.

You could also be getting some vibration from the belts...

Is it possible, I know unlikely due to your description, that it is a loose drive belt? If the noise stops as you push the wood through it could heat the belt just enough to stop the noise.

More likely though is that the stock block has holes and vents that are actually whistling. The manufactures use lasers to cut expansion slots and holes so that when the blade heats up and expands the blade doesn't warp. Sometimes these cuts aren't well designed and tested or maybe it is just a MFU (Manufacturing F Up). When your wood starts to pass around the saw blade it eliminates the air and adds another particle into the air blocking the air from whistling, saw dust.

LQQK

If it is making that much noise and doesn't with other blades, I would definatly not use that blade. My personal opinion is get a good full kerf blade, thin kerf is benifical to smaller underpowerd saws which is not your case. After that do a full tune-up on your saw, to help with it watch Marc's video's and when you are done you will be all around happier with your saw andyou will get to know it at the same time. Have fun cutting.

Nate

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-55-tablesaw-setuptuneup-pt-1/

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-56-tablesaw-setuptuneup-pt-2/