Bandsaw Opinions

JerryD

Hello all:

I was hoping to get some input from everyone in regards to getting a new bandsaw for my shop. In short, I currently own a 14" bandsaw with a riser block that was my first ever bandsaw purchase. Needless to say, it has been a wonderful addition, but it has failed me miserably in regards to heavy resawing. I am hoping to obtain some opinions from you all about possible upgrade options. The 2010 Tools and Shop review placed the Grizzly at the top, but I have never actually used or seen their equipment (despite being darn close to one of their outlets). Does anyone have opinions on the bigger Powermatic, Jet, Rikon, and/or Lacuna saws? Your opinions are much appreciated.

Jerry

I had a Rikon 14" before and liked it; it did what it was supposed to do including resawing up to 12" boards, which I actually did quite frequently. Can't speak for the PM, Jet, or Grizzly. I now have a Laguna LT-18. I did a video review of it here and that includes links to a friend's LT-16 review. (In the review, I didn't like the dust collection, but the latest entry in the blog covers an easy fix that can also be done to other bandsaws).

You didn't mention which size you were after. The Laguna guides are different from all other guides and were key in my choice, though you can get them for other brands. That said, if I were going for a 14" bandsaw today, I'd jump on a Laguna 14SUV. It's not much more expensive than a Rikon 14", but a whole lot more bandsaw. My local Woodcraft started carrying Laguna as of 2 weeks ago; you might be able to get your hands on one for comparison.

I have a 14" powermatic with a riser block. Best tool in my shop. After putting it together, it took VERY little adjustment to get it dialed in. I'm using a 3 TPI 3/4 blade, and there is little to no detectable drift. I can cut paper thin slices.

My only complaint is the clearance insert is some POS plastic thing that sits lower than the table. I always use some sort of sacrificial board when cutting small pieces or the force of the blade pushes the piece down and shatters it. I also broke some plastic sleeve that holds the tension release handle, but that does not seem to effect how well it holds the handle.

When I bought mine, there was killer sale at Woodcraft that landed me the PM and riser for less than the JET. Being JET is made by PM and is the lesser model, I jumped on it.

I did get some advice from a trusted experienced woodworker that I should get the Laguna. It was just too far outside of the budget.

My only complaint is the clearance insert is some POS plastic thing that sits lower than the table.

S Barton, I saw in another post that you have just started turning. Do you have a faceplate for your lathe? If you do, it's pretty easy to make a nice sturdy aluminum insert for your bandsaw. If you're interested in trying this, say the word and I'll cook up a blog entry that explains how to do it.

-- Russ

S Barton, I saw in another post that you have just started turning. Do you have a faceplate for your lathe? If you do, it's pretty easy to make a nice sturdy aluminum insert for your bandsaw. If you're interested in trying this, say the word and I'll cook up a blog entry that explains how to do it.

-- Russ

I'm interested!

I just got my lathe yesterday. Yes, sir, I am very interested.

Jerry,

I recently faced the same decision and it was between the Grizzly saws, the Laguna LT14-SUV and the LT16-3000. Between the two Laguna saws, the LT14 has a couple inches of extra resaw height but the LT16-3000 has extra mass. I chose the LT16-3000 for the mass and the fact that I could buy Laguna locally. A friend of mine has the Grizzly 19" and is really happy with it. He reports that dust collection is near perfect.

You can read the review of my saw on my blog and like Paul-Marcel, there's also a link to a review by a friend. What are the odds? :mellow:

One other option you may want to consider is to look for a used bandsaw. The older machines were often overbuilt to a degree that you don't find in today's machines, which leads to a smoother running, more stable bandsaw, and you'll get much more for your dollar that way. I think bandsaws are prime candidates for buying used machinery, since they really aren't very mechanically complex, so there's not much to go wrong, and if there is it's often easily fixed.

I have a 1940's era Walker Turner bandsaw that I bought used (obviously, since it's at least 20 years older than I am), disassembled it, replaced the bearings, put it back together, and I am really happy with it. And in case you think that you have to be some sort of mechanical genius to do this, for my day job I'm a pediatric oncologist, and the only other thing I've ever messed around with mechanically is a bicycle.

IMG_5828.jpg

This is my bandsaw after resawing a piece of cherry about 9" thick, and it has a 1/2 HP motor. I paid $350 for it when I bought it.

Thank you all for your insight. Hey Paul, have you been happy with your 18" Laguna? That is the saw I have had my eye on for some time. I watch your videos, and you have highlighted many of my questions and concerns. As silly as this might sound, I was wondering if you were still pleased with the purchase? How about you Chris...are you happy with your Laguna?

Jerry

I've been really happy with the Italian LT-18. Well built and runs very well. I wouldn't change my review; it still has bad table-top dust collection out of the box, but I did post a follow-up video on adding a simple shroud under the table and it has greatly improved the collection; you can actually feel the airflow above the table insert. The entry is here: Dust Collection Improvements for your Bandsaw While the video shows me adding the shroud to the LT-18, you could use the same ideas to shroud up a different bandsaw that doesn't have an under-table port. I should have done this to my previous Rikon.

Oh, I should add that I've never installed the Italian LT-18's stock fence; I went straight with my DriftMaster. The stock fence, though, was very beefy, but I was already on the DriftMaster bandwagon :)

This week I'll be resawing a lot of drawer stock so that will be a better test of the tabletop dust collection. I already know the cuts will be perfect. Really nice saw.

It's still a little early for Chris to be on the forum so check in around 1am :)

Hi Jerry,

It's 10pm my time... 1 am eastern time. <_<

I just realised something: my bandsaw needed work out of the box to get it up to my satisfaction but after that it was good; Paul-Marcel's saw worked fine out of the box but required to work to his satisfaction. Okay that was a bit of a stretch.

Yes, I'm still quite happy with the saw. I've resawn some 8" hardwoods and it doesn't have any trouble with it. I stand by my review as well. One minor complaint is that it's easy to pinch your fingers when tightening the table tilt lock knob between the door - there isn't enough clearance. If you are mindful and hold the knob the right way, it's a non-issue. The other change I may make is to replace the socket-head machine screws that lock the lower blade guide because they fill with dust, making adjustments harder than they need to be.