electronics in the shop

Eric.

I just got a new stereo so the old one found a new home in the garage shop. It's pretty nice equipment and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the bulk of the dust off of it without suffocating and overheating it...it pushes a fair amount of juice to a couple pretty heavy speakers.

Thinking about building some kind of housing that would utilize furnace filters on two sides, and putting a fan or two in there.

You guys have any brilliant ideas for keeping the electronics in your shop clean and cool?

Is there anyway you could build it into a cabinet and vent the air to the outside or somewhere other than the shop (any place that isn't dusty? You might also look at a computer/electronics parts supplier for fans designed for electronics and air filters that match.

I've had my stereo in a shop for close to ten years, no problem. It's basically sitting on shelves. Lots of room for air movement. I also have had a computer in the shop for five years with no ill effect. I do have a cyclone DC, but have had times when I was doing something that let dust into the air and a little compressed air to blow things out is all I've done.

I have had my TV and stereo/dvd player in a cabinet I built, TV is about 12yrs old and stereo is about 7yrs old. When I built the door I did mortise and tennon frame with a plexiglass panel but I am going to switch it to tempered glass just for the simple reason of dust sticking to the plexi. I did originally think along the lines of fan and filters but seeing that there is never any dust that settles inside the cabinet I have no regrets about skipping it.

Nate

In a way, I have my shop computer in the shop like Dave in Oz suggests. The computer is actually in the spare bedroom closet upstairs above the garage shop. A USB repeater cable for the webcam, a USB hub for anything else I want down there, and an HDMI cable to the wall-mounted monitor and I'm set. My shop doesn't get very dusty so my concern wasn't dust as much as heat. Oh, I have heat. Computer is in the A/C while the rest is in the shop. The USB hub has a Bluetooth receiver and I use an Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad (for a Windows box blink.gif) to keep cables out of the way.

For music, the integrated speakers on the monitor are okay, but I also have a set of extra USB speakers that go loud so they found their home there. Better than getting $5 at the garage sale for them.

Good ideas so far guys. The cabinet idea just won't work. In all honesty I'm overworking the stereo with the ridiculous speakers I have it driving. I really need a bigger amp...I had to take it out of a cabinet when it was still in the house because it was overheating. Out of the cabinet, no problem. I like Dave's idea...think I might go in that direction.

Good ideas so far guys. The cabinet idea just won't work. In all honesty I'm overworking the stereo with the ridiculous speakers I have it driving. I really need a bigger amp...I had to take it out of a cabinet when it was still in the house because it was overheating. Out of the cabinet, no problem. I like Dave's idea...think I might go in that direction.

Woohoo, not bad for an apprentice listing! :P Might be a good idea to use a dust seal around the access hatch you make. The other thing I was thinking was if your home has a sub floor area, you could put the amp in there somewhere to keep it cool and not have a hole in the lounge room wall to impress your dinner guests with, lol.

Woohoo, not bad for an apprentice listing! :P Might be a good idea to use a dust seal around the access hatch you make. The other thing I was thinking was if your home has a sub floor area, you could put the amp in there somewhere to keep it cool and not have a hole in the lounge room wall to impress your dinner guests with, lol.

I'm thinking I'll just run the cords and wires through the bandboard and into the basement and put the amp on a shelf down there...I'll only have to run about 8 ft or so, and I don't really need frequent access to the amp like I do the receiver. That way I can build a housing around the other components in the garage...the receiver doesn't get that hot, just the amp.