Oak Desk and Side Unit

Chems

Been working on this one for the last few days, its veneered MDF for the carcase, drawer sides and solid face frame and top. As always its been hard to match the types of oak from my supplier, its always a mix of quater sawn and rift sawn, no one but us nerds will notice thou ;)

I got fed up of buying the small pots of glue so got a huge one which should last for a while and worked out in the long run a lot cheaper.

DSC00347.jpg

All MDF parts cut:

DSC00342.jpg

Lipping a shelf for the smaller side unit:

DSC00343.jpg

Then use the BradNaylor lipping techinic, stick a bit to the fence, then align the fence to that the extra bit is inline with the bearing and cut away. Very quick and easy for smaller parts.

DSC00372.jpg

Heres one unit been domino'ed together, this is for the tower unit of the PC with a small top drawer.

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

Then work on the faceframes, this is the faceframe from the drawer bank unit:

DSC00362-1.jpg

DSC00364-1.jpg

Drawers fitted:

DSC00365-1.jpg

DSC00366-1.jpg

Fully Extension runners from the supplier that 9fingers posted about a few weeks back. Paid for the 5 sets what one set of blum costs! But a lot harder to install than blum.

DSC00367.jpg

Face frame for tower unit:

DSC00373.jpg

I've double depth cut the hinges in so the barrel lines up with the bead:

DSC00374-1.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

Door for tower unit dry fit:

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

Unit all done:

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

Desk nearly fini just some oil today:

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

And this is the side unit which has taken a back burner. Needs the doors making and the faceframe fittings so shouldn't be too much behind the main unit.

DSC00370.jpg

I'll get some better pics of the top when its in place, some nice 1 inch stock used. One board was a little darker for the main top so I embraced that and layed it central with the two lighter flanking, a bit devon woody and people who have seen it seem to really like that so been lucky there.

• 3 weeks later...