flame box alder

duckkisser

i was wondering if flame box alder is a very soft or hard wood?"think its related to maple" does it tend to split? does it keep it flame coloring after it dries out or over time? is it good for hand or machine tools? can it be cut into boards as i have only seen it as turning blanks? does it warp easily? and what are you general feelings about the wood. please give me your good and bad experiences working with it.

thinking of cuting it into small 1/4 strips to make the inside edge on cherry picture frames for christmass

Maybe you mean boxelder? Despite the name it is actually a soft maple (Acer negundo) with a white/slight yellow wood often flamed in bright red (maybe it is a fungus)...

However it is the softest maple but hard enough to make something durable, with a very fine grain and small pores, my experience with it is limited to some wooden spoons i make but i love it because it's easy to work, to sand, takes a very good finish and the resulting spoons are light, strong and easy to clean (finished with linseed oil)...

The tree is small and rarely have the long straight bole needed cut it into boards this is why you never find boards but only turning blanks, maybe the only problem can be the fading of the bright red flaming with time but i don'know how much it fades and how quickly...

It's common name here is Manitoba Maple, it's a soft Maple prone to burl and figure. They are hardy and do well here on the Canadian prairie.

The red will fade with exposure to UV light, it's a good wood to use for drawers and cabinet backs.

Your intended application is fine, although I would use Acer Saccarum, sugar maple, myself. The colour is whiter and would be a sharper contrast to Cherry.

At my local hardwood store, they have a nice bowl turned from boxelder. I actually only found that out today. The reason I didn't know before is because the red faded completely away and is brown-grey. The owner of the shop did say that it holds it's color in pens or other applications because they are not exposed to UV as much.

Just some timely $.02.