Copper Inlay

R Jones

Just a little test I did in the shop today. Had a couple extra minutes and have been wanting to try and inlay some copper so.... Here's a piece of 0.02" copper inlayed into a piece of Bubinga. It's about 3 3/4" round and 3/4" thick. I was going to use it as a drink coaster but finished it with lacquer so I guess that's out. In the future they will get a oil finish:)

230275-438x.jpg?1310684880

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

by "artist's copper," I assume it's small blocks of solid copper? Or is it something you need to melt down (smelt down?) and pour?

My limited experience with copper comes from plumbing repairs, copper rivets, and the odd copper rod this one hardware store sells. I have seen hammered copper basins, but never been allowed to touch them. (Don't know why the museums have this "no touch" policy. It might make going to them more fun.)

This is a fantastic ornamentation! I could see so many uses for them.... Christmas trees, door knobs, door knockers, closet knobs, serving trays, centerpieces, candle stands, etc. I'm tempted to start one myself... Aside from that CNC part, that is...

• 2 weeks later...