Window Frame Opinions

cmbp

I have this stained glass window that I'm giving as a gift, and am undecided about how to frame it. Would like to hear your opinions. I've considered:

- a Greene and Greene style in mahogany,

- a thru-tenon styled frame in quarter-sawn white oak, or

- restoring it to a typical white painted and aged window frame.

Any reaction?

Thanks

post-672-080008300 1282235098_thumb.jpg

A lot of choices there, but there goal is usually to compliment the content, so the nouveau option would be pretty good, but might get a bit complicated and could also easily get too busy, detracting from the actual piece.

If you want simpler, a black and silver frame would be good. Start with a basic frame (even the one you have there), stain it black, then add an inlay of banding about 1/3 of the way out from the inner edge of the frame. Not sure what you would put in there that would be silver, but anything of a basically neutral gray would work. The reason for the black is to provide a negative space around the outside to seperate the glass from the wall. The black also reinforces the black squares in the piece itself. The reason for the silver/gray band in the frame is to provide an eyeline that keeps the viewer in the piece instead of wandering. It also reinforces the lines of the leading in the glass, providing continuity between the piece and the frame.

Ideally you would probably want the black frame a bit wider than what it's currently in to give a little more negative space, but you should be able to get by with what you already have there.

Just one design perspective. I'm sure you'll get many more :)

Is this to be a real window or to hang in front of a window. If it is a real window work with a window manufacturer to have it a third pane between two others a sealed panes. Let them do the professional glazing and choose from their options. I'd go aluminum clad on the outside and whatever wood fits for the interior.

Thanks all for the ideas. It is more art nouveau than arts and crafts. I'm a bit concerned about taking the current frame off without damaging the window. Maybe I can add some width to the existing frame and then veneer it all around but with a 1/8" front with an inlay as suggested.

It's probably going to hang inside a large single pane window, but that's my wife's call.

It's probably going to hang inside a large single pane window, but that's my wife's call.

Aha! Well, that could change things a bit. If it's going to hang in the middle of another window, you might want the frame to be as minimal as possible so as not to block the view around it. Welcome to the wonderful world of framing. So many choices it'll make your head hurt.

You know, I realize this may go "against the grain" of us do-it-yourself woodworking types, but this may be one of those instances where you might want to go with the expertise of others. My suggestion would be to bring the piece to a good picture framing shop along with a photo of the window and another one of the wider surroundings. You are ultimately trying to showcase a specific piece in a specific setting, and they are the experts at this.

I don't use them often, and they're not cheap, but they can make a huge difference. Even if you don't end up going with them, if just honestly tell them you are looking for ideas/alternatives, they will probably give you some advice. Just don't tell them you're thinking of doing the whole thing yourself;) And if you can, at least try to make it worth their while for helping you by buying some materials or something from them. Since they are kind of a "luxury" industry, they're hurting just as much as, or more than, everyone else right now - just like us!

-Just inundating you with even more options...

• 1 month later...

Finished the window. In the end, I just went with a simple mahogany veneer on top of the existing frame. (I was about worried about taking it all apart). The white corner is just a flash effect...post-672-084471900 1286836102_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas!

Mahogany looks good with it which is why I would vote for a Greene and Greene style in mahogany! Anyway looks good. What did yo pay for something like that and do you know a good place to get stained glass? I'm assuming it was old. It has that look.

Mahogany looks good with it which is why I would vote for a Greene and Greene style in mahogany! Anyway looks good. What did yo pay for something like that and do you know a good place to get stained glass? I'm assuming it was old. It has that look.

Glad you like it. The window came from Old Good Things in NY, who sells reclaimed architectural items. They have stores in Chelsea and Union Square. It was around $1000.

They're selling ipe planks reclaimed from the Coney Island boardwalk and I've been planning on using some to build an outdoor table. But I promised my wife I'd finish her cherry desk chair and mahogany placemats first.

Glad you like it. The window came from Old Good Things in NY, who sells reclaimed architectural items. They have stores in Chelsea and Union Square. It was around $1000.

They're selling ipe planks reclaimed from the Coney Island boardwalk and I've been planning on using some to build an outdoor table. But I promised my wife I'd finish her cherry desk chair and mahogany placemats first.

It's a small world,I bought some stained glass windows from them a few years ago and we bought and used the coney Island planks at a job we did in NYC during the summer!

It's a small world,I bought some stained glass windows from them a few years ago and we bought and used the coney Island planks at a job we did in NYC during the summer!

Very cool. Did you use the planks in their weathered state or did you clean them up? I wasn't sure how deep into the 2x4s I'd have to go to get nice clean hardwood. If I can't get close to a 1x3 from the 2x4, then it's too expensive an option - especially with shipping to Florida.

What did yo pay for something like that and do you know a good place to get stained glass?

Chris,

If you're just looking for the glass itself, my wife works for a company that manufactures and distributes it.

Youghiogheny Glass

Follow the stained glass link on the left. They have a broad selection of stipple, virtuoso production, and Tiffany reproduction.

Joe

Very cool. Did you use the planks in their weathered state or did you clean them up? I wasn't sure how deep into the 2x4s I'd have to go to get nice clean hardwood. If I can't get close to a 1x3 from the 2x4, then it's too expensive an option - especially with shipping to Florida.

We used them in their weathered state, maybe they were power washed. If you're really interested I can find out from the sub that installed it. I seem to remember that the weathered wood was not too deep so 1X3 should not be a problem. There were some large bolt holes here and there, the sort of thing you might see in a bench at the seaside.

Chris,

If you're just looking for the glass itself, my wife works for a company that manufactures and distributes it.

Youghiogheny Glass

Follow the stained glass link on the left. They have a broad selection of stipple, virtuoso production, and Tiffany reproduction.

Joe

Thx,nice web page, did'nt see pricing.Do they have mica too?