Eliminate reply content in email notifications, but keep the link.

Onboard

When I post a reply, I type it up off line in a document. When I’m happy with the results I post my reply. However, sometimes I see that my post needs some further explanation, rewording or I forgot an important fact or point. So, of course, I edit my comment. Maybe a few times. Again, this is not every time but on occasion.

When a WTO member who has posted a subject, or even a reply where someone has “quoted” another post/reply, they receive email that shows the content of the reply. As you know, this content is based on the very first posted reply and not the reply with any further editing.

What I would like to propose is that the primary poster (the one who posted a new topic under one of the forums) receives an email, that they will get the link to click on so they can go and look at the reply or quote or whatever, but that the “content” of the reply, etc. would not be included in the email. That way, in most cases, when they go to their post through the supplied email link, they will be reading the most current version or revision of the reply.

I know that the probability is pretty good that the person who received the email, and having read the reply, will already be thinking of a comment or reply in response, that is based on what they’ve read in their email, but will not likely read the modified reply. So, by only supplying the link back to the persons reply, or quoting, etc., they will need to read what is currently there. I understand that there will be times that the original poster of the topic will be logged in and read the initial reply, but that of course cannot be helped. However, by eliminating the content in the email and only including the link, it would preserve more accurate and relevant replies.

Thanks

Unfortunately the forum doesn't offer this level of control. You can turn email notifications on or off, for any post you choose to follow. And you can set it so that if anyone quotes you you'll receive an email as well. But you can't really control the content of the email in any way.