first item posted here. mesquite whisky box

lawrence

We (the Senior NCOs and Officers) are giving a bottle of scotch and a box to the outgoing Commander, who we respect very much. I offered to make the box if the enlisted folk paid for the materials (about $25) and the Officers paid for the bottle.

P10700681024x768.jpg

There are some for me in this project-- first time using my raised panel and lock miter bits (I've been looking for an excuse)

P10700641024x768.jpg

I didn't give enough forethought to the lock miter bits and am not thrilled with the joinery showing on the front.... next time I'll do it differently.

P10700591024x768.jpg

To lift off the front you slide back the top, which is held in place by keyhole slots and screws... this allows the front to be slid up and off

P10700611024x768.jpg

P10700631024x768.jpg

Here's a pic of the keyhole slots-- to remove the top (which shouldn't ever really be necessary) you slide it forward and off the enlarged holes.

P10700601024x768.jpg

The inside will fit 2 different sizes of bottles and the smaller (shown) is friction fit by shims of mesquite which can be removed for larger bottles.

The carving was done on my carvewright. I carved the lettering and patch and then painted the carving with minwax onyx stain.which I scraped off after it dried. The whole thing is finished in blonde shellac with a touch of amber mixed in followed by a couple of coats of rattle-can lacquer

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your comments.

Lawrence

• 3 weeks later...