Starting new job tomorrow

Dave H

I'm a union carpenter and the economy has been killing us for the last couple years. I been fortunate enough to find enough work to keep the bills paid, and not much else I've had my app. in everywhere, was about ready to go spank patties at Burger King. Tonight I was at the market when I got the call to build the pontoons for the 520 floating bridge it's a three year project. It took everything I have not to yell WA HOO! at the top of my lungs at the IGA. I start in the morning it's been a tough year and a half things are looking up.

• Like 1

Thanks Darnell I'll let you know more later although I've worked on many bridges this will be the first floating bridge. We are building the pontoons for the bridge in a dry dock in Aberdeen Washington, and when they are built the pontoons will be towed up the coast and through the Strait Of Juan De Fuca and down to Seattle Washington where they will be assembled to form the 520 floating bridge. thats all I know for right now not sure what they have for me yet I've worked for this company several times in the past it's Kiewit General great company, I know several of the formen on this job thats how I scored the job. Thanks Dave

Congrats! And really glad to hear you didn't have to go through any burger flipping. I tried that when I was trying to get back into work part time (I was a stay at home dad full time) and found out my previous jobs made me overqualified for part time. I'd hate to think what they might have said for you.

can you turn this job into a part time or on the side thing after the 3 years have passed? maybe as a consultant position? Not having gone through a serious union, I don't know the bylaws well enough.

(Although I know how you feel: I was unemployed for a spell when the company closed the line of business. I was with a friend at I think Best Buy at Christmas time when another job called to schedule an interview. It's really hard to find a quiet place in Best Buy during the holidays to schedule anything; I'd imagine the produce section has to be better for this kind of phone call...)

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who were interested in SR 520 floating bridge project here is the official web site from the Washington Department Of Transportation http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520/Pontoons.htm . The job is working out great it is a hub bub of activity there are more cranes on this job than any job I've ever seen, right now I'm working on building the crane beams for the rolling cranes that will be on either side of the dry dock, there will be two rolling cranes on both sides. The crane rail beams are poured in place concrete built on top of steel caseing pileings. One of the rolling cranes is already built, and another is almost complete. The crane beams will be complete in the next couple days, and then I will move to the dry dock basin to begin work on the pontoons themselves. I will be moving to the swing shift 4:00pm to 2:00am, 6 days a week, any way thats all the news thats fit to print. Dave