Am I Doing This Right

Hasselback

Hey all. I have recently completed (I had to avoid the term "finished" for reasons that will become obvious) a baby cradle for my sister. I am in the midst of finishing it (see...I told you) using the method demonstrated by Mark in his "Go To Finish" video. I've put on the first coat and am preparing for the second. However, the 6-12 hour drying time has really extended into more like a 24 hour+ drying time. Some factors that may be working against me here are:

1) I'm using ACE brand poly, as it's all I can get without crossing several hundred miles of water.

2) This is the tropics and it is monsoon season.

I've cut the poly with mineral spirits 50/50 as recommended, so I'm wondering if this drying time is just something I have to deal with because of my environmental factors, or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

G.

Oh, definitely the humidity will play a big role. Even here in Arizona during our monsoon season, I'd expect what you are getting so it must be much worse in tropical monsoon season.

You'll likely want to wait out the first coat drying. Once you can drag your knuckle on the finish and get a squeak instead of a smear of finish, you should be okay.

For the next coats, thin it further like 75% mineral spirits to 25% poly. I'd opt for Napthla instead of mineral spirits as it flashes off faster and will help flash off the carriers in the poly.

I'd hit the next coats with some Japan driers. If you don't want to monkey with adding those and you're after a satin or matte sheen, switch to that poly (not gloss) as those will likely dry faster; in the case of Epifanes varnish, satin and matte dry considerably faster than gloss.

It's not the brand so much as it is the weather. If your shop has a climate-controlled finishing area, you should use that. If you are like most of us and don't have a climate controlled finishing zone, you just have to wait it out. (If you are like me, you have seven or eight of these projects that you've messed up the finish on because you don't have the patience to wait. stupid ADD...)