Best way to apply Shellac

roadking598

Members,

I am looking for some advice on the techniques you folks use to apply Shellac to a project. I like the fininsh but I am not getting the results I suspect the rest of you are. Luckily, these are projects that are going to be used at home (so far)...

What is the best way to apply Shellac to a project? Do you get the best results from using brushes, foam brushes, rags, ....?

I have used all of the above and combinations thereof as well. I still see small ridges (usually near the edges) that appear to be where the Shellac ran just a bit and I didn't catch it. These ridges happen no matter how careful I seem to be.

Am I missing the boat on the applicator or just need to hone my technique?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

• 3 weeks later...

Shellac finishes should be kept away from water, as they will become dull or even have a white residue appear when exposed to moisture. Should your shellac finish develop water spots, repair is relatively simple. Use straight alcohol on a pad and remove the shellac from the offending area. Then pad or brush on a series of coats of shellac and rub it out until the finish is even.

Then pad or brush on a series of coats of shellac and rub it out until the finish is even.

Ryan's on the right track. However you get the shellac on the surface, application is just the first step. I personally apply it with a brush; but the job isn't done until it's seen either some sandpaper or steel wool.