Compressors

dwacker

I need to pick a new compressor. Something small but not oil-less they are to loud for my taste. I had an emglo for 15 years before dewalt purchased them. My first thought was just to go back to emglo and save a $100 vs dewalt , they charge extra for the yellow paint and sticker for the same compressor. The only thing it needs to handle is brad and pin nailers. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Don

I don't like the noise of a compressor, either, so I got a 20 oz CO2 bottle and special regulator. Noiseless and you can get a lot of shots on a bottle (hundreds depending on type of nail). Hangs from your belt so when you're doing crown, it's awesome.

If you go for the Kobalt system, it's around $85 for the regulator and some dumb accessories you'll never use (you're buying the regulator). The bottles are "exchanges" so you get an empty with the kit and you swap it for a full one. Kobalt is at Lowe's.

I use the Powertank side-arm. More expensive in certain ways.

What I like is you use your existing pneumatic gun. I have a pinner on the bottle all the time, but can easily use it with the stapler, finish nailer, or framing gun. Yeah, framing gun... fixing a neighbor's roof was easy without lugging a compressor and 100' hose.

That link above is a blog article I wrote about the Powertank bottles and regulator; it compares against the Kobalt. Both are good systems.

I got a DeWalt D55168 (1.6 HP Continuous, 200 PSI, 15 Gallon Workshop Compressor) after doing lots of research. I was going to get one with smaller tank but you can only run nailers on them. Anyway, all the pancake compressors usually fail quickly (disposable). I'm happy with the DeWalt and I've been using it at least once a week since I got it back in April.

26 g, does that equal 26 gauge? If so, they sure would be mighty fine pins. I think mine is an 18 gauge brad/pin nailer. Similar to this one.

Dave,

Pin nailers are great you may want to look into one. They dont split out trim and the hole is so small it doesnt need to be filled. More so they are like a third hand and will hold something together while its being clamped. I really dont use brads just pins and staples.

Don