Substitute for forstner bit?

fuzzypirate

Hi gang. In video 130 Mark uses a forstner bit in a drill press to do the majority of the work to hollow out a block of wood for a decorative bowl before he finishes the job with a router and template. I don't have a drill press and am looking for an alternative. Could I do the entire thing with my router or is that asking for trouble?

Nope, I just hogged off 2/3 of a 6'x6" board last night for a project using a bowl planing bit. The rounded outer edge is like a cambered plane iron so it doesn't leave nasty tracks. Bit can be plunged, too, if you need to start somewhere within the stock. I plunged down 18mm (~3/4") and went at it. You'll want DC connected or you'll look like Fozi Bear when you're done.

If you are making a pattern then you can likely use the bearing. Worse case, you don't use a pattern and the bearing is along for the ride until the next project. So go for the bearing. I have that same type of bit, but mine was a clearance from a local store (unknown brand). When it no longer works, I'm replacing it with the EA bit. I use it a lot for things other than bowls.