What kind of wood is this?

Nick2cd

i picked up a couple pieces of scrap flooring from our local habitat for humanity re-store. it's quite dense and heavy for its size. i made a wooden spatula with some of it. i'd like to know what it is before i use it in any more food contact applications. people at the store had no idea what it was. anyways, im trying to figure out what kind of wood it is. it almost has a red'ish hue. anyone know what it is or may be? here are a couple pics.

photo1.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

here's a pic of this wood next to some cherry and walnut for some color reference.

photo-22.jpg

What did the wood look like when you were working it? Padauk is a dead giveaway because of the color changes: The wood is vivid orange when freshly cut. Leave it in the sun for a few days and it'll rapidly darken to a blood red color. A few more weeks in the sun and it'll be silvery brown.

What did the wood look like when you were working it? Padauk is a dead giveaway because of the color changes: The wood is vivid orange when freshly cut. Leave it in the sun for a few days and it'll rapidly darken to a blood red color. A few more weeks in the sun and it'll be silvery brown.

i don't recall this happening. it seemed to be a muted color of what it is now (muted because of the chalky, sawdust look). then, of course, when i wiped a bit of finish on, it came alive.

the koa when cut didnt change much from what it was when in sun for a while. stays a strong redish red brown color. do they make floors out of padauk never seen floor boards made from it.

it doesn't seem to have the exagerated striations that koa seems to have. i just don't think it's koa, but i've been wrong plenty of times before (just don't tell my wife) :D

the koa i have some has super dark black streaks with dark red wood and others is kinda pale redish with no black streaks in it at all. hard to tell without working with it. i have several boards that im siting on since i cant figure out what type of wood it is. waiting till i learn more or find someone who knows more then me. just work with it and decide that you like it and keep a piece of scrap to match up later.