Are the bases on miter saws of a standard height?

Hasselback

Hey all.

Since becoming clinically addicted to Google Sketchup (recently heard from my wife: "Uh, honey, that's nice that you've designed yet another piece of furniture, but when are you going to actually BUILD something again?"), I find myself toying with the idea of building a miter saw stand. Because of my shop setup, I am going to go with one of the plans designed around a small cabinet with collapse-able wings on each side. Now I currently own an Ace-brand miter saw that is serving me well for the time being, but one of my first upgrades that I plan down the road is a newer, sliding-compound miter saw. I would like to use the same stand for the new saw when (someday) I purchase it.

So then...my question...

Are the bases on miter saws fairly standard? I would think there would be some variation, so I'm going to go with the adjustable base that I've seen on a few designs, but I want to make sure that they don't vary wildly in thickness. Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George.

I have three miter saws and they're all different -- a Black & Decker, Dewalt and I think one that might be Ace Hardware brand like yours. They're all around 3.5" tall, but the B&D is the shortest and the Dewalt is the tallest. There's almost an inch difference between them. The difference isn't a big deal in a construction setting on a temporary stand, but for woodworking you will need to calibrate the stand for the specific saw.