Wood matching question

muthrie

I'm going to build a desk for the office sometime after the first part of the year. I have some beautiful quarter-sawn African Mahogany for the top. Would you:

1) build the whole thing out of African Mahogany?

2) build the base out of Walnut? (Top AM)

3) build the base out of Cherry? (Top AM)

Or something else?

Marilyn, I think I would go with maple or some light-colored species of wood. I made a couple of tea light holders a few years back. I made one for my wife from maple and walnut. Looked great. But I made another one for my sister-in-law out of cherry and walnut and there wasn't enough distinction between the two woods. Look in my gallery and you'll see what I mean.

Jack

I'd do the entire thing in Mahogany. My second choice would be a Cherry base, as it ages it will come closer and closer to the Mahoganys colour.

My last choice would be Maple, as I find extreme contrast in large pieces a little gaudy.

Do you think the quarter sawn mahogany (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DhxxV-F-Vio/TapSNS2eg0I/AAAAAAAACag/ZqQoYJhRs9Y/s1600/mahogany.png) would be too much as a top. Originally, I was thinking Mahogany top with cherry base because I struggled with the Mahogany and I so enjoy working with Cherry.

It would be pretty showy, but if you have enough for the top and the panels you could get away with it. The rest of it should be in plain straight grain then. Otherwise I'd save your lumber for the panels and find something with less figure and easier to work for the top.

How about saving the mahogany for another project and making the desk in Cherry?

How about saving the mahogany for another project and making the desk in Cherry?

Yeah, that would do it. Yeah, AM looks really nice a panel. See my wall cabinet -> http://sheworkswood.blogspot.com/2011/07/final-pictures-of-wall-cabinet.html. Don't want a crazy lookin' top.

We need one of those things that allows you to change you hair before you cut it and see what it looks like. :)