My Second Turned Plate

susieq4131

A hint for your glue blocks. Put a piece of craft paper between the blank and the glue block. It will glue tight enough, but pry apart easier.

These are fun and challenging to do. Soren Berger Scoops.

http://www.woodturne...?num=1307826943

Roger

These are fun and challenging to do. Soren Berger Scoops.

http://www.woodturne...?num=1307826943

Roger

Thanks for the info. Soren Berger's work is amazing. I wasn't aware of him before now. :)

SQ

A hint for your glue blocks. Put a piece of craft paper between the blank and the glue block. It will glue tight enough, but pry apart easier.

Mystyk,

Appreciate your feedback. Where do you get Kraft paper other than from a grocery bag? Is there a merchant that sells a reasonable quantity. of it. Not looking for a 100 lb roll of the stuff. :) They sell the lunch bags in grocery stores but was wondering if it was heavy enough to do the job?

SQ

Let's see... You could just turn a lot more so that the 100# roll will be worth it :). You can also go to a craft store like JoAnn's and get it there.

Of course, a grocery bag or two will last a long time all cut up. As you pointed out you should be doubling the paper, do a lunch bag should be strong enough. I always soaked both pieces with lots of yellow glue and it held well.

when you get some meat from the market ask them for some extra paper that they use for wraping.

well susie i made the jump and bought a lathe chuck and tools got me a delta 46-460 what do you use?

The Delta 46-460 is a very nice machine. I have a Grizzly G1495 which I got used on craigslist.

SQ

Let's see... You could just turn a lot more so that the 100# roll will be worth it :). You can also go to a craft store like JoAnn's and get it there.

Of course, a grocery bag or two will last a long time all cut up. As you pointed out you should be doubling the paper, do a lunch bag should be strong enough. I always soaked both pieces with lots of yellow glue and it held well.

Thanks for the tip about the kraft paper at JoAnn's. Do you always double up the paper? What kind of glue do you use?

SQ

LOL No, I've never heard of that. Care to elaborate?

You mentioned spoons a few posts back. I'm hoping to give this a try tomorrow! I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

SQ

i read in a post that you can boil wood that tends to crack out to then dry it again to stabalize it http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html

here is the post let me know if you think this will work and i would love to hear about the spoon thinking i might try that. also you might like to know kids love my wands thinking i mass out a bunch to sell at a craft sale after christmass. planing on key chains and wands to start with as both just need my scrap wood. going to sell cheaper then most turners so i can pay off my new tools faster. basicly im not charging for my work just the supplies and little more.

You're quite welcome. Yea doubling the paper helps when you want to get them apart. Last time I did it I think I used Elmers yellow glue.

If Joann's does not carry the craft paper try an art supply store, or a "Michael's" if the exist where you are.

Ok, I'm going to come clean. I don't use kraft paper when I'm gluing up waste blocks to my plates/platters or bowls.

Here is my method:

I find the center of the plate/platter or bowl using a ruler and compass which also gives me the horizontal and vertical line I will use later for alignment purposes. I made a waste block template of multiple sizes which has the horizontal and vertical lines marked. Using this template, I select my waste block size, attach it to a planed piece of wood and cut it out on the scroll saw leaving the template attached. I also mark a 90 degree line down the side of the block from the horizontal or vertical lines - again used for alignment purposes later.

This is where it gets a little different. I glue a piece of wax paper to the bottom of my plate/platter or bowl using Titebond III. Next, I glue another piece of wax paper to my waste block again using titebond III. Finally, I glue the two pieces of wax paper together using Titebond III. To get the waste block centered to the plate/platter or bowl, I just align the horizontal and vertical lines with the corresponding horizontal and vertical lines on the plate/platter or bowl. Since these layers have a tendency to slide around - due to the glue, I stack wood on top, checking the alignment and let it cure overnight.

This waste block template also has a blue ring in the center which just fits inside the hole on my face plate. By looking down the hole of the face plate, I can easily align the face plate to the waste block just before I am ready to turn.

I use waste blocks exclusively when turning plates/platters and bowls using this glue up method. My bowls are usually segmented. I cut out the rings and glue them up with Titebond III. My plates and platters are made from one solid piece of wood and are usually about 1 1/4 inches thick. I have not used this glue up method on large bowl blanks but have used this method on smaller bowl blanks.

I have turned plates/platters and bowls up to 13 1/4 inches in diameter with zero problems. I have a 14" inboard, so figure this is about the largest I can turn. However, am thinking about enlarging that by another 1/4 inch assuming my lathe will accept this new larger size. This glue up method has worked extremely well for me. I regularly check the waste block to make sure there is no separation.

What do you think? Is this a wacky method? I'm not encouraging anyone to use this method. I realize now that kraft paper seems to be the preferred method. But this technique seems to work well for me. Picture of waste block template attached - which saves me lots of alignment time.

SQ

post-1522-0-97832000-1320411916_thumb.jp

i read in a post that you can boil wood that tends to crack out to then dry it again to stabalize it http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html here is the post let me know if you think this will work and i would love to hear about the spoon thinking i might try that. also you might like to know kids love my wands thinking i mass out a bunch to sell at a craft sale after christmass. planing on key chains and wands to start with as both just need my scrap wood. going to sell cheaper then most turners so i can pay off my new tools faster. basicly im not charging for my work just the supplies and little more.

Duckkisser,

I have never heard of boiling wood, but I'm new at turning and have much to learn. Will check that out. I can see it now - not only chips but water flying around while turning. lol

I think your wands and key rings are a great idea. I've always believed that if one is doing what they love, the money will come. I'm very excited about trying spoons. Will let you know how it turns out.

Food for thought, the big successful companies sell at what the market will bear. Figuring out what the market will bear, might take some research. I have basically given away my products for little or nothing in the past. I'm a little tired of doing that. Why not make decent money on our products? Aren't our products worth it?

SQ

• Like 1

This waste block template also has a blue ring in the center which just fits inside the hole on my face plate. By looking down the hole of the face plate, I can easily align the face plate to the waste block just before I am ready to turn.

SQ,

Another thing you can do to aid in centering the faceplate on the turning is to turn a plug, that fits very snugly into the bore of your faceplate. Turn a point on it, or put in a small nail on center. Then simply take an awl and mark center on the waste block, put the plug into the faceplate, point of the plug into the marked center hole and slide the faceplate down to the waste block and secure.

Easy as fallin of a log.

Roger

SQ,

Another thing you can do to aid in centering the faceplate on the turning is to turn a plug, that fits very snugly into the bore of your faceplate. Turn a point on it, or put in a small nail on center. Then simply take an awl and mark center on the waste block, put the plug into the faceplate, point of the plug into the marked center hole and slide the faceplate down to the waste block and secure.

Easy as fallin of a log.

Roger

Roger,

What a smart idea! :) I will have to try that.

SQ

oh i will sell for more but i need to get some money back fairly quickly cant wait for 3-4 years to get my investment back if i take a small loss in the short run i can sell my stuff for cheaper that isent perfect and then when i am more expierenced i can raise my prices.

oh i will sell for more but i need to get some money back fairly quickly cant wait for 3-4 years to get my investment back if i take a small loss in the short run i can sell my stuff for cheaper that isent perfect and then when i am more expierenced i can raise my prices.

Duckkisser,

That should certainly work. Good plan.

SQ