My Second Turned Plate

susieq4131

I have always wanted to turn a plate. My first attempt at a plate was going well - until I went through the bottom which resulted in a huge hole. :wacko:

With this second plate, I was more careful not to go through the bottom.

Plate is 10 9/16 inches in diameter and made from maple. Sanded at 800 grit with Grex air sander and finished with USP grade mineral oil and beeswax.

I'm on vacation this week and have a 13 1/4 inch platter - which I am turning today and other plates/platters in the works.

This is so much fun, I'm surprised it's not illegal. :D

SQ

post-1522-0-42764600-1320069664_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-90266500-1320069677_thumb.jp

Come on now, if you are going to gloat about a turning, you have to include a picture!! As they say, no picture, didnt happen. :) But seriously, I like turning platters. They are a bit challenging, as getting a large flat surface truly flat takes some doing. Glad to see you are trying something new! It's a great way to broaden your skill set.

SQ, what size compressor are you using for your Grex? I have a 25 Gallon compressor and was wondering if it would deliver enough air to make the tool run well. Thanks for contributing!

Roger

Come on now, if you are going to gloat about a turning, you have to include a picture!! As they say, no picture, didnt happen. :) But seriously, I like turning platters. They are a bit challenging, as getting a large flat surface truly flat takes some doing. Glad to see you are trying something new! It's a great way to broaden your skill set.

SQ, what size compressor are you using for your Grex? I have a 25 Gallon compressor and was wondering if it would deliver enough air to make the tool run well. Thanks for contributing!

Roger

So sorry about not including the pictures - the first time. We had a little 12 gallon air compressor and it wouldn't run the Grex. We ended up having to upgrade to a 60 gallon Husky. The savings in time was worth the price. A 25 gallon air compress is not going to run it.

SQ

SQ,

Very nicely done! I really like the rim detail. The finish looks very nice too, very well done all around.

Roger

Roger,

Thank you so much. I have always concentrated on segmented pieces which are much easier on my pocket book, so this piece with no seams has been very exciting. Wish bowl blanks weren't so expensive. :wacko:

SQ

You need to make friends with the tree trimmers, and clearing crews. Heck, you live in the PNW, you are surrounded by trees. I am sure there are a few lumberjacks in your area. No need to buy wood when you can get it for free.

That's a really good idea. I will have to look around. Might be a better option than cutting down my neighbors trees while they are away. LOL

SQ

Very nice plate! I like the added bump on the rim. It sets the rim out. Nice. Plates are really neat to do. They take a different concentration with the tool.

Tim,

Thanks a bunch! These are the ultimate with no seams. I just put a 13 1/4 inch laminated platter on the lathe. Can't wait to see how this one comes out. I am off to the shop!

SQ

SWEET!! very elegant.

Now you are inspiring me to clear off some space on my bench to put together a plate or two.

My goodness, don't waste another moment - start turning! I didn't realize what I had been missing all these years. It's the ultimate! Sharpen those tools, and we want pictures.

SQ

Coming from a novice turner im wondering what method you used to hold the plate while turning. I still havent gotten a chuck yet in fact i just got my 3" faceplate last friday. I turned my first bowl friday night from a log and had a blast. This is VERY addictive!!!

I don't use anything fancy. I have wooden glue blocks I make up in different sizes. I first glue the glue block to the plate and attach the face plate to it. I use a chisel to loosen the block once the plate is finished, I even reuse the glue blocks . I just don't use the same screw holes a second time. I also never use sheet rock screws - a tip I learned here. :)

SQ

just turned my first thing ever i made a wand for my neice for christmass. very simple form but it is kinda cool looking and makes me think about making more to sell to harry potter fans.

You are way ahead of me. I have never turned anything like a spindle. But would like to try my hand at spatulas with turned handles.

SQ

nice plate now you have to make a couple dozen to match and put them in the kitchen.

I can't seem to reproduce anything in duplicate. With that being said, I have been going with the one of a kind marketing angle. Anyone have any ideas on how I could easily reproduce something like a plate in duplicate? What would I need besides notes on prior turning and some calipers?

SQ

SQ,

If you wanted to make duplicates of an original, consider making some templates. One for the inside, and one for the outside. Combine these with a caliper and ruler, and you will be very close. I don't think people would mind minor variances, besides, its handmade. It gives each piece its own character.

Roger

SQ,

If you wanted to make duplicates of an original, consider making some templates. One for the inside, and one for the outside. Combine these with a caliper and ruler, and you will be very close. I don't think people would mind minor variances, besides, its handmade. It gives each piece its own character.

Roger

I have calipers - and have never used them. :D Guess I will have to get them out and get acquainted with them. Too bad they don't made a plate or bowl duplicator.

SQ

You are way ahead of me. I have never turned anything like a spindle. But would like to try my hand at spatulas with turned handles.

SQ

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/duckkisser/P1020887.jpg here are my wands cant believe you havent done a spindles since you made a plate far more itimidated by by plates and bowls then i am by a curved stick.

is it possible to make a wooden spoon head on a lathe? or does that have to made else where?

I have made wooden spoons but only on a scroll saw and then carved out the bowl of the spoon. You bring up a clever idea. Seems to me you could turn the handle and the bowl of the spoon - all from one piece of wood. The bowl of the spoon would be round or egg shaped. Take the spoon off the lathe and cut half of the bowl of the spoon off and carve out the bowl of the spoon. I think it might work.

SQ