Dust collector for a small shop

Godet

Here's what I'm looking at: I have a small (15' X 8') where I do a lot of handtool work. However, I still love my table saw and chop saw. I also do some milling work in the garage...So, I'm looking for a small, sometimes portable, dust collection system. I don't really have the space or need to have duct work, but I'm willing to consider it. I think that the Rockler system (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30676) might do the trick for me...it claims 650 cfm which I think is probably fine for the two tools that will see the most use (tablesaw/chop saw). Does anyone have experience with or feedback on this model? Any other bright ideas that fit what I'm looking for (small, powerful, sometimes portable dust collection)?

I have a small Jet dust collector that is on wheels that I use in the garage when I use my table saw and planer. It is not the "best in the west" but, it works fairly well and keeps me from having to sweep all the dust and chips off the floor.

My shop is so small that I can't really use the table saw, miter saw, router table or planer in the shop very well so, everything is on wheels and gets moved to the garage for use. I just have 4" hose connections that need to be attached and disambled for each use. Yes, it's a pain but, is better than nothing.

Rog

Godet,

I bought Rockler's Dust Right system that you are looking at and I love it. One surprising thing about it is it is quiet! As far as hooking up various tools, I only use one tool at a time and it is very easy to move the handle from one tool to another and not have to rig up a duct work system. And if you need to move it to another location, say another room, they sell additional inexpensive wall mounting brackets so you could mount it in the other room. For temporary use you could actually get away without mounting it.

The hose is very flexible which makes it easy to pull to different machines. It's embedded coils are like a slinky in that they retract so it is only extended the length that you need. And the flexiness of the hose will I think keep it pliable in the winter, if that is an issue such as in a garage shop like mine.

Cindy

Godet,

The hose is very flexible which makes it easy to pull to different machines. It's embedded coils are like a slinky in that they retract so it is only extended the length that you need. And the flexiness of the hose will I think keep it pliable in the winter, if that is an issue such as in a garage shop like mine.

Cindy

It is a cool hose. I got the longest one and it is great for cleaning up around the shop and reaching those machines like the drill press that really don't need dedicated plumbing.

Don

Thanks...any info/feedback on the smaller model's ability to keep the environment clean and safe? I'm open to anecdotal feedback from those that have used it, but would be interested if anyone has found scientific data testing various models. Most of the reports I've seen on such things only include the bigger models...

Thanks...any info/feedback on the smaller model's ability to keep the environment clean and safe?

It depends on what you mean by "clean and safe", and your tolerance for risk and inconvenience.

First of all, when manufacturers quote CFM for dust collectors, those numbers are usually generated in the most ideal environment possible, which means no hoses hooked up and no filter attached (!). Once you add your dust collection hose and the filter, you add in resistance to the system, which lowers your CFM. So the actual CFM that you'll get with that DC in use is likely to be less than the 650 CFM quoted.

Second, you have a choice of 30 micron or 5 micron filters. The dust particles that you see are going to be larger than that, and so the DC you're looking at will do a fine job of cutting down on the mess. But the dust particles that are going to cause long term problems with your lungs are finer than that, on the order of 1 micron or less, and neither filter will catch those particles. Whether you are going to be worried about those particles is going to be your decision. For me, I don't want those particles in my shop if I can help it.

The reality is that to collect those 1 micron dust particles, you're going to need to move a lot of air, which means a bigger unit, size, and cost. You can't beat the laws of physics. I have a 1-1/2 HP single stage DC with a 1 micron filter, and I am still thinking about getting a mini cyclone to replace it. My main issue is the space in my shop, much like yours.

The unit your looking at is more like a vacuum cleaner than a conventional dust collector. The biggest issue is that the performance will decline every time you use it until the bag is emptied. Yes they do work but you have to keep up with bag emptying. They are going to keep the air as clean as any other unit with a comparable filter micron rating but on the other hand as the bag plugs its going to miss alot.

Don

Anybody out there have more powerful units that can fit into a smaller shop?

Maybe you don't need to fit it into your shop. Some people take a large, powerful unit and put it outside the shop, and run a duct through the wall. Saves space, reduces noise, and you don't have to worry that much about what the filter lets through. Also, the negative pressure in the shop reduces the amount of dust that spreads to the rest of the house. But, if you have combustion in the shop (hot water heater, furnace, etc) the negative pressure can suck carbon monoxide into the shop.

I actually just found this one on Craigslist: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00078V9KA/

Any experience/thoughts/etc.?

I have been using that very unit for about 5 years. I find it performed okay for a while, but being a single stage mine is really losing its umph. Not only that but it really is pretty poor at filtering out fine dust. My shop smells like dust within minutes of working now. I'd say it's probably fine for a guy who doesn't do a lot of work. But in my opinion if you do a lot of work, you will want a 2 stage. Otherwise, like me, you will be looking to upgrade or replace this unit in a couple of years.

I think poor dust collection creates an under-rated safety risk. It's not something that you rush to the emergency room for. Instead it slowly affects you over time. I don't want to be negative here, but my experience is that if you skimp on dust collection (as I did) you may get by in the short term, but long term, you will want another solution. Today, I wear a mask for a lot more work than I should need to simply because my dust collector can't cut the mustard.

So, after a lot of research last night and today, I think I'm leaning towards the Oneida mini-gorilla. It's bigger, and more expensive that I originally wanted...but It's mobile (though we'll see just how mobile once it's set up), seems to be among the best in terms of collecting the finest particles, and is made in the U.S.A. I'm pretty sure I can fit it into the my shop, with a few modifications that are already underway. Although it will mostly be used for the table saw, and perhaps with an already-in-the-works funnel/sheld for the chop saw, it gives me the option of expanding its use down the road and I can hopefully avoid an upgrade a few years from now. As always, the forum has proved to be a integral part of my decision-making process...I'd love an additional thoughts, and appreciate all of your insight so far.

I think if your going to spend that much id look at laguna 2hp. Call them up and tell them you want ten percent off and free shipping. They will usually wheel and deal. The oneida name is great but 1.5 hp is really pushing it. By the time you pay for mobile kit, barrel and shipping it will be close and the laguna is real nice for the money.

Harbor Freight's 2HP dust collector is large-ish, but $155 if you catch it on sale *and* with a 20% off coupon. I used that, plus a Rockler Dust-Right collapsible hose. Works great.

I eventually upgraded the dust collector with a trashcan-lid preseparator ($25?, Rockler).

A friend upgraded his with a Wynn nanofiber filter, which was a noticeable air-quality boost in his shop.

For <$200, it's a *ridiculously* nice setup. Even off-sale, $300?

I was also looking at the Rockler, but decided against it and bought the Harbor Freight. It runs on 120V, but the current unit requires 20A instead of the 15A you will sometimes still see in ads. Even with the trashcan pre-seperator it is still less expensive than the less powerful Rocker system. And it is on caster, so you can still bring it to the tool. Yes, it is larger, but your lungs will thank you for the additional airflow. I will upgrade mine with the Wynn filter and that should be completely adequate for my garage shop.

I am happy with how my shop vac works but am also looking at a dust collector that is 2 hp to use on larger machines. One is $300 for 1200 cfm and the other is $600 for 1600 cfm. Remembering that in Australia things are more expensive, would people advise that twice the price for 1/3rd more cfm is a good deal. I have toyed with the idea of buying 2 of the 1200 cfm models and pairing them up, 2400 cfm? But, that also means 4 hp, near 2900 watts on a 2400 watt circuit. The power tool being used would also be on the same circuit, maybe pushing to over 5000 watts! So, $600 or $300?